Labeling eggs

WestVermont

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Bennington, Vermont
I see stamps and other markings on eggs and was wondering what you can use to label eggs... I want to breed chicks and would like to mark breed type on eggs with a safe marker, stamp or so on.

My hatching book says never use anything but a lead pencil because everything else absorbs into the egg.
he.gif

I have used Sharpies for years. I do believe the membrane protects the egg.
I have never had any ill effect using one.
I dont like pencil, it rubs off, especially if you get shipped eggs in the mail.
I always rewrite with a Sharpie on any eggs I get that are wrote in pencil.
And I would think if everything is absorbed in the egg, lead would be absorbed also. But that is just my opinion.
hide.gif

I have used Sharpies for years. I do believe the membrane protects the egg.
I have never had any ill effect using one.
I dont like pencil, it rubs off, especially if you get shipped eggs in the mail.
I always rewrite with a Sharpie on any eggs I get that are wrote in pencil.
And I would think if everything is absorbed in the egg, lead would be absorbed also. But that is just my opinion.
hide.gif
I'm just quoting the book... I don't have that much experience...
duc.gif

pretty sure pencils have been made of graphite for quite a long time now, not lead, since lead is a health issue?
We've used pencil often, and using a softer grade pencil makes it easier to make a darker mark (usually A, B and date laid/date into bator, or maybe date due?)
(A and B if not using a turner so you can keep track of which side is which)

I wa sworried about marker of any kind getting thru too, but hey, never saw it bleed thru the shell layers either the few times we used it.

Pencil does and can rub off too easily tho if handled much or humidity and touching rubs them off.

just my 2 cents?!
good luck.

Back
Top Bottom