Labeling the Chicks? Help!!!! Tumbleweed is getting lost in the crowd!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lambingfamily, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Has anyone labeled their chicks by banning them or something? Our first born chick, dubbed Tubbleweed, belongs to my son, so he says. Now we have two more little fuzzybutts and when they dry we will have 3 Tumbleweeds! [​IMG] Know what I mean? Any suggestions? Please help and fast before my kids have a melt down!!!

2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I have used a very thin strip of vetwrap to mark chicks before. It's soft and stretchy, and only sticks to itself--not to the chick's leg. I just wrap a little piece around a leg a couple of times, making sure not to get it too tight. I find that older birds just pick it off, but chicks seem to not mind. I wouldn't use a bright color (e.g., red!) though, that might cause other chicks to pick at the labeled one. But I've used blue or black vetwrap successfully this way.

Good luck keeping tabs on Tumbleweed!! [​IMG] I can't wait 'till my son is old enough to understand/enjoy hatching!

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use colored velcro to identify chicks until I can put leg bands on them.

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    For lighter colored chicks does anyone think that coloring the down with different colored sharpies would work?

5. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    won't she loose track of who is who before they leave the incubator? I mean it's not like you can just reach in to mark them & they can't come out until all are hatched right? So by the time they're all hatched won't the 1st 3 all be confused with each other?

Oh & a big congrats on the hatchings! [​IMG]

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking about dipping feet in food coloring... wonder if that would work?

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    dont use red or pink, it get them to pick each other

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

well yeah.. no pink or red..

but green & blue.... I only need a couple of colors..

will it work? how long will it last? perhaps I should dip my own skin to see how long it'll last [​IMG]

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Home Depot, etc has zip ties in asst`d colors. I`ve used them for years. Just keep an eye on them and change them before they get too tight.

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:A small drop of food coloring on their back would probably work better. I would avoid red since the other chicks may peck at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by