Lack of protein in my chicks

oshilo88

Songster
7 Years
Dec 5, 2015
What can I give my 5 weeks old chicks for protein deficiency? They started feather pecking and eating. And seems like it's getting worse. I feed them medicated Purina start & grow.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

What's the protein % in your current feed? A commercial chick starter really should have plenty of protein for a chick's needs.

Do you have photos of your brooder? How many chicks in how much space? Boredom could also be a factor at play here.

What's the protein % in your current feed? A commercial chick starter really should have plenty of protein for a chick's needs.

Do you have photos of your brooder? How many chicks in how much space? Boredom could also be a factor at play here.
18% of protein in their feed. I don't have a picture of my brooder. Will get some tomorrow

18% of protein in their feed. I don't have a picture of my brooder. Will get some tomorrow
18% isn't too bad. Might want to see what other feeds your feed store offers, to see if you can get a 20% feed.

For quick protein you could try some hard boiled or lightly scrambled egg, chopped finely, or unsalted/low salt canned fish, flaked.

18% isn't too bad. Might want to see what other feeds your feed store offers, to see if you can get a 20% feed.

For quick protein you could try some hard boiled or lightly scrambled egg, chopped finely, or unsalted/low salt canned fish, flaked.
Thank you! I'll try hard boiled eggs tomorrow.
Do you know if I can feed them Game birds/Turkey/Quail feed? It has 30% of protein

Thank you! I'll try hard boiled eggs tomorrow.
Do you know if I can feed them Game birds/Turkey/Quail feed? It has 30% of protein

I would aim for closer to 20% overall. Is this a medicated feed? If so, you can mix in a bit of the 30% feed to try and raise the overall protein level a little.

Back
Top Bottom