lack of sophistication ... yeah.. thats me :)

Just remember: when society falls apart the PhD brains will need us folks who know how to grow, process, and cook our own food.

I'll send the hubby over to help with the fridge. Would you like a plate of fried chicken, Polk salad, mashed taters and some iced tea?

I've always been the country chick in my ultra modern city family. I was the one who raised a chicken in my bedroom. So it was no surprise when I married into a clannish mountain family.

And I've embraced my country life and expressed my wholesome lifestyle in some rather interesting ways. A few years back my sister called to let me know my mother was placed in a nursing home. Horrified, I quickly packed and loaded the only truly reliable vehicle we had at that time. Let me tell you those knobby tires on my Jeep hummed a nice tune the entire trip to Florida.

Of course Florida is famous for sudden thunderstorms and we ran into some rough weather which quickly evaporated. I decided to take a short cut and navigated through some rather primitive terrain. Thank goodness for safety belts or I may have accidentally tossed the hubby. I stopped for gas and noted the Jeep was rather dirty but didn't have time to clean her. I gave the windshield a quick squirt and drove on.

My hubby and I arrived at my sister's million dollar home. We cruised along the development trying to find the correct house. The massive tires grumbled along the asphalt and slung bits of debris. I studied the perfectly manicured lawns and began to plot a devious plan. Slowly, I edged the Jeep toward a brilliant green yard. The hubby gave me the raised brow and a stern verbal warning so I guided the Jeep back to the center of the lane. Still I plotted. My mind works in strange ways when stressed.

I found my sister's house and parked the Jeep in her driveway. We climbed out and did a few quick stretches. I noticed the neighbors looking through the windows. I looked at my Jeep and smiled with pride. The vehicle was encrusted in Florida's dirt. Bits of palmetto bush stuck out like stray strands of hair, and water dripped from her like sweat from a horse. A huge clump of dirt fell from her undercarriage as if she took a massive dump on the perfectly clean drive way. The hubby and I were dressed in blue jeans and plaid cotton shirts. The Rednecks had arrived.

And with typical redneck pride I hitched up my jeans and shouted, "Hey! Madelyn! Where do you want me to put the pit bulls?"

My sister was so embarrassed but her husband (a country boy) laughed so hard he could barely walk out to welcome us.

Despite my rather flamboyant arrival I have to note I was the first one to arrive to help with a family crisis. And when it comes to family we rednecks stick together.

I don't know Boyd, but maybe "A" wants to come visit you because he's envious of your simple, red neck, stress free lifestyle!

Last edited:
Quote:
SEE?? That right there was an amazing story!!! I would rather hear stories like this all day than discuss politics and such-
THEOLDCHICK-your sis sounds like mine-shoes off at door-NO DIRT anywhere and OCD beyond when it comes to perfection-you can drive in my driveway and dump your dirt poop piles anytime youd like:)

Last edited:
My husband used to refer to me as his "Ellie Mae" (Beverly Hillbillies)...and his friends would look at my animals, my blonde-moments, my bare feet- and shake their heads- and say, "You'd never know she was as smart as she is by looking at her"...
lau.gif

I play both sides of the fence quite well. Im fine with nation-wide conferences in a room full of medical professionals, sipping wine, and discussing the latest advancements in the veterinary medical field- and just as fine with a pig roast and bonfire, roasting marshmallows on a perfect stick, that I had to crawl through the brush pile to find. And wiping chicken poop off my flip-flops. My work professionals would be horrified with the big green tractor sitting in my suburban front-yard...the chickens in my yard...(and IN my house, for that matter)...
gig.gif
And the attitude in my house, "If you dont want the dog in your lap, get off his couch"...

Redneck here, through and through.. and I wouldnt have it any other way.

Quote:
heh heh...my exmother-in-law has that OCD no dirt lifestyle...once complained about me falling asleep on the couch at her house...couches were for sitting stiffly, not getting comfy...once at my house, she remarked, "I dont know what it is, but whenever I come to your house- I just can't wait to go home and clean..."
lau.gif

I was just talking to my dad the other night about my lifestyle compared to my brother's. My brother and I have the same education (bachelor's degree, some grad work) and he and his wife out in the SF Bay area spend weekends at Napa and Lake Tahoe where they rent a cabin (cabin being a misnomer, it has 5 bedrooms) and she just pasted on Facebook that they need another wine cooler because theirs is too small for all the wine they have, etc ...

While I'm a widow struggling to get my hobby farm going, knowing I can do what I want now that DH isn't here to say "You don't need any more hobbies." I've been selling off his tools and some other stuff I won't use (most of this is going to friends and neighbors) who have to shoo the chickens out of the garage before they can get tthe stuff out of it.

There are educated idiots and then there are intelligent people without formal educations. Anyone can buy an education street smarts ya either got or ya don't got. (poor grammar)

Back
Top Bottom