Lactating goat doe with no babies?!

itsazoo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
Western PA
In the last few weeks I've noticed that my does utters look like she's got milk. She's not pregnant and has not had babies now or in the past nor could she since her only playmate is neutered. She's 4 years old, her utters aren't red and don't appear to be sore, she's acting/eating normally and doesn't have a fever. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Hhhmmmm. Since she's a pet and I never intended to have milk I don't have a stanchion so it would sure be an ordeal to milk her! I'm sure I could do it with some help though. Won't it encourage her to make more milk if I milk her though? Don't really have a need for goat milk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to do at least one milking to see if there is milk or something else going on. If it is milk and you don't want it take the grain away and don't milk her so she dries up. But, it is something you need to check out.

Quote:
Hhhmmmm. Since she's a pet and I never intended to have milk I don't have a stanchion so it would sure be an ordeal to milk her! I'm sure I could do it with some help though. Won't it encourage her to make more milk if I milk her though? Don't really have a need for goat milk.

Can i have her then please?
gig.gif

Sounds like a precosious udder and or a false pregancy or a hormone imbalance can do all of these...Some can come into milk and milk for a while and sometimes its just fat storage in the udder. I would have it checked just to make sure she dont get mastitis.

Back
Top Bottom