Ladder for Entry to Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickylou, Feb 4, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Hi Again,

I noticed that most have ladders for entry as just a board with trim on it at intervals for the birds to go up. I guess this would be a traditional coop look.

We have an old crib that has the bars on it. I wanted to cut the bars down to small ladder size and make that the coop entry board. Will that work? Should there be a board under or would it work to just make a ladder for them to get up. The coop will be 4 ft off the ground.

Any thoughts are appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Sound like that would work great! I have been known to use all kinds of things to improvise what I need because I'm not really good at building things.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Go for it. We used the back of an old wooden ladder. Had to add a few extra rungs (after this picture). Works great !

[​IMG]

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It depends on your chickens. Biddies would have a hard time with the ladder vs a board, but bigger birds would do fine with just a ladder

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The ladder style works fine for chickens and you will avoid the poo build up on the board.
    But like Bear said if you will have chicks it seems to take them a while to master the ladder compared to a board.

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I have a solid ramp, and while there are advantages the build up (because they all have to gather under their little porch) gets to be a pain to scrape off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by