1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ladder type roost or roosting shelf pros and cons

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by floridagramps, Dec 12, 2011.

1. floridagramps

floridagramps New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    I am building my first coop for my dau and 3 grandsons in Los Gatos CA this Christmas and know zip although I am learning lots via this great forum. I am building an 8x10 coop for 10 birds and am thinking of a ladder style roosting set up using 2x3s for roosts (thin side up or wide side up?). Planning 4 roosting bars one 2 feet off ground, 2nd at 3 feet,3rd at 4 feet off ground and 4th 5 feet off ground.

I have read on this forum that many chickens prefer a wide shelf vs narrow roost. Dau will raise Americaunas (sp?) that lay blue eggs. I could easily replace the roost with a 12 inch deep shelf 3 feet or 4 feet off ground? Or may I should provide both and let the ladies decide

2. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Wide shelf roosts build up poop. I would say no wider that a 2X4. I use landscape timbers and the girls love it.

[​IMG]

3. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

What we built:

[​IMG]

What they use....

The two by four rafter across the coop. All eight jostle for position there at nightfall. Looks like a group of fat, fluffy vultures.

Gail

1 person likes this.
  4. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] DH used spindles that you would use for making a railing they were 1 1/2 inch wide,then get 2x3 and screw spindles into them.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    To me the main thing is use something round or radiused around 2 1/2 or 3 inches. Judging from natures offerings in the wild, that is what's available. Their feet fit it naturally.

Now everybody that used 2X4's won't agree, but that's ok.[​IMG]

6. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    [​IMG]

This is one of our roosts. We ended up putting the 2x4's up the thin side up. Didn't know they should be the other way but its too cold now to change it. Mine like it and havent had any issues as of yet. [​IMG] Good luck!

7. Creaking pines kids

Creaking pines kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    NC
    You can also use a stick as a roost.

8. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    yea, i think they like roost they can hold onto.. mine also love to roost on top of my nest box. i would like to add a ladder to my coop though.. some even roost in the nest box. they all do different things, who knows:[​IMG] they get used to what ever they have..

9. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of chopped tree branches where we're fixing up the stable, so we built a hinged ladder. I also want a higher perch that'll go from one wall to the other with a 10-13ft branch. They're nice and thick. I can't tell you whether the chickens like it yet, as they haven't moved in! But they currently live in a small coop and all roost on a 1.5" perch.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    A single level roost avoids the squabbling that goes on over the top rung of a ladder roost (birds generally prefer to roost as high as they can).

I have a single level roost all around the perimeter of two walls on my coop with a shelf underneath. On the shelf are plastic boot trays that I take over to the composter every morning to dump out. It's very easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by