Lady Amherst and Red Golden Pheasant questions

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all! We are starting to plan to build a giant barn with an aviary in the next few years that can be heated to keep junglefowl as well as species that don't need heat such and Lady Amherst and Red Golden Pheasants. We've never had pheasants before which is why I'd like to take a couple years to learn everything there is to know before we build our barn. Any and all knowledge about these pheasants is welcome no matter how basic. :) Also, we are in Southern NJ.
Here are my questions.. :)

1. What do they eat? Where do you buy their food?
2. I know they need a large run but, how large? How much space does each bird need exactly?
3. Do they tear up grass and yards like chickens do? I don't plan on free ranging due to our hawk problem but I don't want them standing on dirt forever if possible. Not interested in a run that must be moved.
4. Are there any breeders associations where I can find pure breeders of these pheasants? I really do not want hybrids or mixes but I'm bad at identifying them. :oops: Do they have a breed standard?
5. This may sound silly, but are they the same species and are different colors or are they actually two entirely different species of birds?
6. What is a reasonable price to pay for pure adult or young birds?
7. At what age do they mature? (Can breed/lay eggs)
8. How many eggs do they lay a year?
9. Are there any good books or other educational resources for them?

My pheasant experience so far is just with Ringneck, however, lots of your questions apply. For additional information: @007Sean is the resident pheasant expert and I’m sure he will stop by and help too!!
1. Feed is a gamebird or all-flock that is higher protein than chicken feed. I also give mine treats of premium scratch with dried mealworms and booneworms. They also like some fresh veggie treats on occasion like hanging head of cabbage to peck at.
2. more space is better as pheasants don’t free range. Their area needs to be escape proof as well as secure from predators. I would go with 15+sq feet per bird with shelter and perching options.
3. I turn the base in my aviary with a tiller several times a year and fresh mulch. Pheasants will munch on any greenery and they do dustbathe etc. I would say they are less destructive than chickens, but in the long term you will need to replace/turn the base.
4. Sometimes you can find a local breeder though much more difficult than with standard poultry. Eggs and birds may also be found on eBay or CL. Occasionally, you may find someone here at byc that sells eggs. A few hatcheries also offer juvenile pairs (purely poultry and Meyer I think) one hatchery offers an ornamental assortment of chicks. The hatcheries are just that hatchery quality. Other sources are buyer beware. Others here may have better recommendations.
5. They are different birds but can breed to create hybrids. Others know the exact nomenclature so I will defer.
6. They are more expensive birds than ringneck (which is why I don’t have any yet) you may find chicks in the 15-25 range. Eggs typically $80 for 6-12 and hatchery juveniles are typically in the 150 range. Private sellers may have juveniles in 50-100 range.
7. 4-6months with females possibly not laying until the next breeding season depending on time of year hatched.
8. I would say up to 100 eggs per year depending on if they brood. Breeding season is roughly April thru August.
9. I learned as much as I could from here. I’m sure there are books available and additional information online.
hopefully that is a helpful start!!!! If you click on my coop link, there are a few pictures of my aviary setup.

My pheasant experience so far is just with Ringneck, however, lots of your questions apply. For additional information: @007Sean is the resident pheasant expert and I’m sure he will stop by and help too!!
1. Feed is a gamebird or all-flock that is higher protein than chicken feed. I also give mine treats of premium scratch with dried mealworms and booneworms. They also like some fresh veggie treats on occasion like hanging head of cabbage to peck at.
2. more space is better as pheasants don’t free range. Their area needs to be escape proof as well as secure from predators. I would go with 15+sq feet per bird with shelter and perching options.
3. I turn the base in my aviary with a tiller several times a year and fresh mulch. Pheasants will munch on any greenery and they do dustbathe etc. I would say they are less destructive than chickens, but in the long term you will need to replace/turn the base.
4. Sometimes you can find a local breeder though much more difficult than with standard poultry. Eggs and birds may also be found on eBay or CL. Occasionally, you may find someone here at byc that sells eggs. A few hatcheries also offer juvenile pairs (purely poultry and Meyer I think) one hatchery offers an ornamental assortment of chicks. The hatcheries are just that hatchery quality. Other sources are buyer beware. Others here may have better recommendations.
5. They are different birds but can breed to create hybrids. Others know the exact nomenclature so I will defer.
6. They are more expensive birds than ringneck (which is why I don’t have any yet) you may find chicks in the 15-25 range. Eggs typically $80 for 6-12 and hatchery juveniles are typically in the 150 range. Private sellers may have juveniles in 50-100 range.
7. 4-6months with females possibly not laying until the next breeding season depending on time of year hatched.
8. I would say up to 100 eggs per year depending on if they brood. Breeding season is roughly April thru August.
9. I learned as much as I could from here. I’m sure there are books available and additional information online.
hopefully that is a helpful start!!!! If you click on my coop link, there are a few pictures of my aviary setup.
Thank you so much! That was all incredibly helpful! I believe I have found a breeder in NJ that has both! :D I have just a couple follow up questions to your incredibly helpful tips! :)

1. Where do you buy your gamebird feed? And what brand is it?
2. What do chicks get? 30% gamebird and turkey starter?
3. When do you make the transition from chick feed to adult feed?

Thank you!

Thank you so much! That was all incredibly helpful! I believe I have found a breeder in NJ that has both! :D I have just a couple follow up questions to your incredibly helpful tips! :)

1. Where do you buy your gamebird feed? And what brand is it?
2. What do chicks get? 30% gamebird and turkey starter?
3. When do you make the transition from chick feed to adult feed?

Thank you!
I'm not the best person to ask about where to buy your feed....I have mine custom milled....but TSC, local feed stores should carry gamebird feed.
I feed a 24% protein complete and balanced feed, from hatch till death.
During cold spells, I toss a hand full or 2 of white sunflower hearts seed in their pens...helps keep their core temps up during the cold nights. You can also do the same with a multi-grain scratch feed.

If feeding crumbles or pelleted feed there is no need to supplement with grit or oyster shell. Grit should be offered if they are raised on wire and fed scratch grains as a treat. I don't feed scratch to chicks.
HTH

Last edited:

A quality gamebird feed (starter/grower and breeder) would be appropriate for the majority of their diet. Generally it is a crumble, although I have seen pelleted gamebird breeder depending on the brand you go with. Feed stores carry it, or you can have it shipped to you from multiple online vendors. Grains, vegetables, and fruits, can all be given sparingly, as well as protein-rich items, like boiled egg, dried insects, etc.

2. I know they need a large run but, how large? How much space does each bird need exactly?

Species needs as well as the sex of the birds cause this answer to vary. Generally I've heard that males need at least 25+ square feet per bird and hens need 20+. Really all that matters is that you understand they need space. And lots of it. It's also not generally a good idea to keep multiple males in flights together during the breeding season. Runs should also be constructed with many areas that females can escape an over-zealous males attentions. Lots of enrichment items help with that too.

3. Do they tear up grass and yards like chickens do? I don't plan on free ranging due to our hawk problem but I don't want them standing on dirt forever if possible. Not interested in a run that must be moved.

Do not free-range pheasants. 99% of the time that's the last you'll ever see of them. If the areas are large and the amount of birds in the pens very small they won't kill all the grass back. @KsKingBee has some photos of their peafowl pens that might interest you for basic design and keeping grass/foliage in their pens.

4. Are there any breeders associations where I can find pure breeders of these pheasants? I really do not want hybrids or mixes but I'm bad at identifying them.

I'm sure there are some clubs around, but the best bet is to ask around, browse Craigslist and Facebook to find reputable breeders. Several major hatcheries offer them. Stromberg's comes to mind. Breeders will also sell hatching eggs on eBay.

Do they have a breed standard?

Nothing like the SOP set forth by the APA for chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese. But yes, they have certain characteristics that should be present.

5. This may sound silly, but are they the same species and are different colors or are they actually two entirely different species of birds?

They are two separate species. A Google search can tell you that. Wikipedia will also give you their scientific names and information you may find useful...

Lady Amherst's Pheasant - Lady Amherst's Pheasant Wikipedia

Golden Pheasant - Golden Pheasant Wikipedia Article

Price is relative on availability, location, time of year, and how much you're willing to pay. It will be hard to pinpoint prices but the above poster did a good job giving a ballpark estimate.

Sexual maturity generally occurs between one and two years. While you may get some eggs the first year they may not be fertilized. Their second year breeding should result in chicks provided there are no other issues.

36 appears to be the average for Goldens according to sources online, and that's if you're pulling the eggs and not letting the hen go broody, but that number can be higher.

Amherst's look to lay about 40.

Here is an excellent website for reading more about breeding them.

http://www.allandoopheasantry.com/index.html

A quality gamebird feed (starter/grower and breeder) would be appropriate for the majority of their diet. Generally it is a crumble, although I have seen pelleted gamebird breeder depending on the brand you go with. Feed stores carry it, or you can have it shipped to you from multiple online vendors. Grains, vegetables, and fruits, can all be given sparingly, as well as protein-rich items, like boiled egg, dried insects, etc.

Species needs as well as the sex of the birds cause this answer to vary. Generally I've heard that males need at least 25+ square feet per bird and hens need 20+. Really all that matters is that you understand they need space. And lots of it. It's also not generally a good idea to keep multiple males in flights together during the breeding season. Runs should also be constructed with many areas that females can escape an over-zealous males attentions. Lots of enrichment items help with that too.

Do not free-range pheasants. 99% of the time that's the last you'll ever see of them. If the areas are large and the amount of birds in the pens very small they won't kill all the grass back. @KsKingBee has some photos of their peafowl pens that might interest you for basic design and keeping grass/foliage in their pens.

I'm sure there are some clubs around, but the best bet is to ask around, browse Craigslist and Facebook to find reputable breeders. Several major hatcheries offer them. Stromberg's comes to mind. Breeders will also sell hatching eggs on eBay.

Nothing like the SOP set forth by the APA for chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese. But yes, they have certain characteristics that should be present.

They are two separate species. A Google search can tell you that. Wikipedia will also give you their scientific names and information you may find useful...

Lady Amherst's Pheasant - Lady Amherst's Pheasant Wikipedia

Golden Pheasant - Golden Pheasant Wikipedia Article

Price is relative on availability, location, time of year, and how much you're willing to pay. It will be hard to pinpoint prices but the above poster did a good job giving a ballpark estimate.

Sexual maturity generally occurs between one and two years. While you may get some eggs the first year they may not be fertilized. Their second year breeding should result in chicks provided there are no other issues.

36 appears to be the average for Goldens according to sources online, and that's if you're pulling the eggs and not letting the hen go broody, but that number can be higher.

Amherst's look to lay about 40.

Here is an excellent website for reading more about breeding them.

http://www.allandoopheasantry.com/index.html
Thank you so much! This is perfect! I think my last question is..
How many females per male? If I had enough females could I keep two males like in chickens or is it just not worth the risk?
And again, thank you so so so much!!!
I believe I have a breeder that is actually very close to me that has both. 😁

How many females per male? If I had enough females could I keep two males like in chickens or is it just not worth the risk?
3 or 4 hens per male is ideal and keeping more than 1 male is dependent on space, and personality. I currently have 2 pair....my original male and female and a yong male and female that I raised from them. My original male did very well as a pair. I won’t know until breeding season if I get to keep them both.

Although, 1 cock bird can easily handle 10 hens, I personally run 5 to 6 hens with 1 cock bird. Even in a large pen, come breeding season two or more cock birds in the same pen will fight for the rights to the hens...if the aggression isn't noticed immediately and the two cock birds separated, it could result in the death of one or both birds.
If you choose to raise pheasants, you will find out that they are alot like people....some get along fine together, others, not so much!

Hens can also be aggressive! I've had hens that got along fine with eachother for years, then one day, one turned aggressive towards the other hen(s). I have also had hens that were aggressive towards the male bird.

Multiple enclosures come in handy when you have aggressive birds. Either as quarantine or hospital pens. They don't have to be as large as a multiple bird enclosure....8'×10' or 10'×10' is adequate, as long as it has shelter from the elements.

Personally, I prefer an aggressive cock bird, not to the point of killing a hen, either out right or by aggressively pursuing a hen to the point of exhaustion. They tend to sire healthier, hardier offspring than the passive type male breeder bird. Fertility is usually better, too!

Sorry for the novel but it's 'good stuff' to know!

HTH

Last edited:
Hi all! We are starting to plan to build a giant barn with an aviary in the next few years that can be heated to keep junglefowl as well as species that don't need heat such and Lady Amherst and Red Golden Pheasants. We've never had pheasants before which is why I'd like to take a couple years to learn everything there is to know before we build our barn. Any and all knowledge about these pheasants is welcome no matter how basic. :) Also, we are in Southern NJ.
Here are my questions.. :)

4. Are there any breeders associations where I can find pure breeders of these pheasants? I really do not want hybrids or mixes but I'm bad at identifying them. :oops: Do they have a breed standard?
For feed chicks need 24% or higher and adults need about 17% for the runs and coops it really depends how many you have I would start with a 10x10 run for a pair and add a couple square feet per bird but the more your gojng to have the less you’ll need to have per bird because they will not always be separated from each other the same thing as with quail for example if you could only Keep a pair in 10x10 you should only be able to keep 4 in a 20x20 but 6-10 would be perfectly fine in that and you don’t need grass if anything I’d cover the grass because I’d will lead them more prone to disease rather than something like sand and they are forest birds so they usually would just be on plain dirt or a leaf layer in the wild and no they are not the same species but they can mix so it is crucial they don’t breed together

Thank you so much all of you! You were all so helpful!
I’m honestly surprised that they don’t need more space! I was kinda thinking maybe 16x16 for two hens and a male! If I can I’d like to make their pen for 2 males and maybe 10 females 32x32. 😁 I’ll probably start off with one male and two females. Thank you so much everybody!

Back
Top Bottom