Lady Amherst Color Morphs

Tony is right, the Amherst in America (and Europe) is a mess. Pure birds have been brought in from time to time from Asia, but the species has been mismanaged. Check out the Bibliography and Further Reading listed at the bottom of http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/amherst.html to learn more about this species.

Here's what was being passed as a Lady Amherst at a fair here in Missouri:

2755335236_d4a0174ec5.jpg

Another:

2510975010_75f24b8f91.jpg

Here's some nice birds found on Flickr.

991221577_3753163ab6.jpg

2353351406_5151d297dc.jpg

Also look at http://orientalbirdimages.org/searc...D=79&Bird_Image_ID=16119&Bird_Family_ID=&p=11 for birds in their wild splendor.

Dan

I think it's more some people can't tell the female red golden from the female amherst.They do look similar,but the amherst has more of a barring pattern then the red golden.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks, that answers my question for the most part, it is just a matter of the lady amherst not being bred in large enough quantities for any possible morphs to emerge.
However I have another question, how do you tell if you have a pure amherst? I know it is unlikely from what everyone is saying but what are some signs that it is not pure? From what I have read on the description of the bird they should not have the yellow back that I see in every photo claiming to be an amherst. If that is the case then they are indeed much more genetically impure than I thought.

Last edited:
Quote:
Amherst do have yellow on the backs.

Here are some signs of inpurity of the male:
1. Traces of some color other than green in the crown. The red of the crest should stop precisely where the green begins.
2. Traces of red in the breast or on the flanks.
3. Facial color not bluish-green.
4. Dark gray or brownish color in the white area between the bars on the central rectrices.
5. Broken or mottled barring on the central rectrices.
6. Small size, approaching that of the Goldens.
7. Yellowish legs.

Female:
1. Lack of reddish chestnut on the head, neck, throat and upper breast.
2. No gray marking on the tail.
3. Lack of distinct barring on the tail.
4. Yellowish legs.

ruffedbody.gif

Dan

Thanks, I will take a closer look at mine when I get the chance. I doubt they are pure, just from what I have read it is hard to get pure stock plus mine are just a little bigger than goldens if I remember correctly. I know they are not as bad as some I have seen and I would hate to know that I am breeding poor quality birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
Tony knows his birds, but I am surprised that you didn't mention this;

female golden = more reddish feathers on the breast
&
female amherst = quite a bit of whitish feathers on the breast.

The older the birds get the easier it is to tell the difference. Personally, I can tell the hens apart (purebreds or at least what we call purebred) just by looking at them. I have raised only 4 species of pheasants and many chickens but after raising them for some time it is easy to tell them apart.

I have a pair of Lady Amherst that produce a few Silver Chicks each year. I have two Silver Chicks this year from this pair. They are pure Lady Amherst as far as I can tell, purchased from a reputable breeder and produce pure wild colored chicks every year as well. They have never been housed with other pheasants. I have not had any survive to adults in previous years. Last year had one survive to maybe two months old however died in a freak accident. Hope to see what they look like as adults. Will post pictures. The two chicks are healthy and growing nicely. Please write if any one else as knowledge of Silver Color Mutation in Lady Amherst Pheasants.

Thank You,
Dennis

Back
Top Bottom