Lady Amherst experts??

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by aticiabray, Sep 16, 2013.

1. aticiabray

aticiabray Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Washington
    I have been told that it can take up to a year to know the gender for sure of a Lady Amherst. Is this true? I was wondering what you guys thought I had here.
    I was thinking it was a male but it's eyes haven't changed... It was hatched on May 31st so that puts it around 16 weeks. If it were a male, its eyes would have changed by now right??
    Anyway, here it is. Let me know your thoughts.
    (This is all one pheasant. Just different pics of it. Not more than one.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pheasant

Pheasant Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    This is definitely a Male you can tell bye the tail which has a silver tone to it and dark thick stripes and you can notice the orange color in side tail feathers. Females have a brownish color tail with thin dark stripes. Also you can notice the blueish patch around the eyes, females have no patch around the eyes. Finally you can begin to see the green adult male plumage on its back. I have had Lady Amherst pheasants in the past and with these pheasants eye coloration really does not help as it does with Golden and Yellow Golden pheasants. You can usually tell their sex in about 3 to 5 months.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I beg to differ.I say a female because of the brown eyes.Plus at that age there should be signs of a teardrop on the bottom of the eye if it was a male.
    In N.H.,Tony

4. aticiabray

May 28, 2013
    Washington

Tear drop? Do you have a picture of what it looks like on a juvenile?

5. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Not on a juvenile but an adult.
    [​IMG]
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. aticiabray

May 28, 2013
    Washington
    Is this the teardrop? I took this earlier today. Sorry the pictures aren't more clear... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes it is but the males will have a much bigger teardrop,as hens do also get one.I still think it's a hen by the eye color.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. aticiabray

May 28, 2013
    Washington
    [​IMG]
    This is an updated pic of the bird above. Are we still sure this is a female??? I feel like this has to be a male...

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I didnt see this post till just now. I would have said male in the begginning because of the coloration. But correct me if Im wrong yall. Cant a female with messed up ovaries display male traits? I know on waterfowl they do. But cant remember on the pheasants. Anyway if you just have to be certain vent sex them. I will say male now and hopefully no ovary problem involved.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. Alien

Alien Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    100% male, you could see that by your earlier post. Sometimes older females will develop male coloring. Never seen it in first year birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by