Lady Amherst experts??

aticiabray

Chirping
7 Years
May 28, 2013
Washington
I have been told that it can take up to a year to know the gender for sure of a Lady Amherst. Is this true? I was wondering what you guys thought I had here.
I was thinking it was a male but it's eyes haven't changed... It was hatched on May 31st so that puts it around 16 weeks. If it were a male, its eyes would have changed by now right??
Anyway, here it is. Let me know your thoughts.
(This is all one pheasant. Just different pics of it. Not more than one.)

This is definitely a Male you can tell bye the tail which has a silver tone to it and dark thick stripes and you can notice the orange color in side tail feathers. Females have a brownish color tail with thin dark stripes. Also you can notice the blueish patch around the eyes, females have no patch around the eyes. Finally you can begin to see the green adult male plumage on its back. I have had Lady Amherst pheasants in the past and with these pheasants eye coloration really does not help as it does with Golden and Yellow Golden pheasants. You can usually tell their sex in about 3 to 5 months.

I beg to differ.I say a female because of the brown eyes.Plus at that age there should be signs of a teardrop on the bottom of the eye if it was a male.
In N.H.,Tony

I didnt see this post till just now. I would have said male in the begginning because of the coloration. But correct me if Im wrong yall. Cant a female with messed up ovaries display male traits? I know on waterfowl they do. But cant remember on the pheasants. Anyway if you just have to be certain vent sex them. I will say male now and hopefully no ovary problem involved.
lol.png

Last edited:
100% male, you could see that by your earlier post. Sometimes older females will develop male coloring. Never seen it in first year birds

Back
Top Bottom