Lady Bug infestation! Help!!

daquilajmd

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
A mountain ridge in WV
I have had chickens now for five years and I love them dearly. We have had very good luck with them. I wish they would eat lady bugs, though! They don't! And we have a terrible lady bug problem here in rural WV. Do guinea fowl eat lady bugs? I would seriously consider getting a small flock if they do.

Lady bugs are beneficial insects... people pay good money to have them in their gardens (you can send all your extras to me, lol). Not sure what kind of problem they cause you, but if keets learn to eat them in the brooder, they may eat them as adults too.

we get TONS of ladybugs here too
They're attracted to light colored buildings and they like to swarm. We get hundreds of them in the house every Spring...
I put em back outside!
My guinea hens didn't bother the Ladybugs, ticks yes but I don't remember them eating Ladybugs :)

We get hundreds inside... it's not pretty. No matter how often I sweep, they just come back. Since they're in the house, guineas wouldn't help. If they're outside, I would just let them be, they'll eat your aphids and other problem bugs.

Wish I had lady bug problems!!! I already have aphids doing damage to my roses, and to my garlic. You'd think they'd steer clear of such a pungent plant but nooooooo. Dang pests. Too bad Guineas aren't better at aphid control, lol.

Thank you all for your comments. However, the lady bugs in question are those Asian ones that have actually become nuisance insects. They're not the same lady bugs people order in the mail and purposely put in their gardens to eat the aphids. They swarm all over the house, inside and out, and they smell weird and they bite! People call them lady bugs, but these are orange and black. I think the "real" lady bugs we all know and love are red and black. Sigh.....I guess guineas don't really eat them, do they? I guess I just have to keep the dust buster handy! EWWW!

Back
Top Bottom