laid egg and died

toughchickens

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
I have (had) four chickens and about 2 months ago one of my hens was found in the coup and she seems paralized unable to stand I brought her in the house thinking she just needed to cool down _ I live in arizona it was 110 I forced her to drink some chicken gatoraid and gave her some oatmeal within 2 days she was standing but no walking I kept her in the house for a little over a week and she seemed brand new I sent her back out with her friends and 4 days later she laid an egg and died!!! I thought that it was the heat and the fact she had been sick earlier so thought nothing of it until this morning......I went to the coop and one of my perfectly healthy girls had laid and egg and died!!!! no signs of sickness. it is still about 100 during the day here but the morings and nights are beautiful. They get plenty of water and are in an open coop or in the yard. they are about 24 weeks old and for both this was there first egg. Not sure what is going on -

i had a similar situation ,my hen this morn passed two eggs about 10 min apart ,
and before that she acted like she was almost not able to walk ,
then the eggs came , she is acting very ill but did'nt die. not sure what caused this either .

Sorry i could'nt help, but thought i would share this and see if we get a diagnosis from someone

Thanks it seem this isn't a very common thing from everyone I've been talking too I'll keep you all post on my others Thanks

The only way you would truly know how she died is if you sent her in to get tested. It kind of sounds like West Nile Virus, but I could be wrong.

A friend of mine lost a black sex-link this summer the same way. It was very hot here. It appeared she had laid an egg, walked a few steps, and died. No more fatalities in her flock; just that one.

I had that happen a long time ago to 2 hens. I bought both from the same man so I assume they were related to each other. I've heard that 'sudden chicken death syndrome' can be hereditary and carried down through a line of chickens.
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the eggs. But it could be cardiac arrest was brought on by straining to lay a difficult egg, or a blood clot. I have heard both theories.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom