Laid First Egg on Floor-- Is this normal?

NewOldMotherHen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
My ten chickens are 5 months old this week. This evening when I went out to get them ready for bed, I found my first egg
big_smile.png
on the concrete floor of the chicken house. It is small, perfect shaped, and has a hard shell. Do they usually start out laying eggs in places other than their nesting boxes (there are three nesting boxes straw-lined and each containing a fake wooden egg.)

Mine did the first day. It was on the floor of the coop. I nestled a fishing bobber in the nest box ( all I had, haha ) and she's laid all her eggs in there, ever since, right next to the bobber. Except the soft shelled ones; she lays those outside the box.
tongue.png

Thanks for the good replies. I have been afraid they would not like the nesting boxes I struggled to build them. I did not want nesting boxes taking up space inside the chicken house so I cut holes in the walls and attached the boxes to the outside. Quite a job for an old(er) woman. I am looking forward to tomorrow and whether or not I get another egg. Three have been squatting.

We got our first egg today too!
lol.png
What fun! But ours was outside as well, tucked under a log in the run. It was cold, so it's not as though anyone was trying to sit on it. We have had fake eggs in the nesting boxes since day 1, and not one chicken, other than our rooster, has shown any interest. I hope the other posters are right, and the girls figure it out.

I have 4 that just started to laying a couple days ago DH found 1 in the run. We only had 2 of the 4 boxes open for use today while I getting some treats ready for them both boxes were in use, one of the buffs paced acted cranky growling etc , then all the sudden she started the song dropped her egg in the run. Told DH tonite we gotta open up the rest of the boxes so there is no waiting .
big_smile.png
If you don't have fake eggs golf balls work well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom