Laid First Egg on Floor-- Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewOldMotherHen, Sep 12, 2011.

1. NewOldMotherHen

NewOldMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    My ten chickens are 5 months old this week. This evening when I went out to get them ready for bed, I found my first egg [​IMG] on the concrete floor of the chicken house. It is small, perfect shaped, and has a hard shell. Do they usually start out laying eggs in places other than their nesting boxes (there are three nesting boxes straw-lined and each containing a fake wooden egg.)

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's where my first egg was yesterday! I think they will find it in time.. Your supposed to put fake eggs in there. [​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sure, for a first egg almost anything is possible!
    JJ

4. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Mine did the first day. It was on the floor of the coop. I nestled a fishing bobber in the nest box ( all I had, haha ) and she's laid all her eggs in there, ever since, right next to the bobber. Except the soft shelled ones; she lays those outside the box. [​IMG]

5. NewOldMotherHen

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Thanks for the good replies. I have been afraid they would not like the nesting boxes I struggled to build them. I did not want nesting boxes taking up space inside the chicken house so I cut holes in the walls and attached the boxes to the outside. Quite a job for an old(er) woman. I am looking forward to tomorrow and whether or not I get another egg. Three have been squatting.

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We got our first egg today too! [​IMG] What fun! But ours was outside as well, tucked under a log in the run. It was cold, so it's not as though anyone was trying to sit on it. We have had fake eggs in the nesting boxes since day 1, and not one chicken, other than our rooster, has shown any interest. I hope the other posters are right, and the girls figure it out.

7. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    Perhaps try pine shavings - mine really like this in their nesting box. Easier for them to move into nest form.

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I have 4 that just started to laying a couple days ago DH found 1 in the run. We only had 2 of the 4 boxes open for use today while I getting some treats ready for them both boxes were in use, one of the buffs paced acted cranky growling etc , then all the sudden she started the song dropped her egg in the run. Told DH tonite we gotta open up the rest of the boxes so there is no waiting . [​IMG] If you don't have fake eggs golf balls work well.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yep.

[​IMG]

10. NewOldMotherHen

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    You'all were right. Egg #2 arrived this morning and she laid it in the nesting box. Yeah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by