Laid First Egg on Floor-- Is this normal?

My first one was Sept. 1st, outside in the dirt near their water container, egg 2 was on Sept. 6th behind the bag of wood shavings.
Eggs 3 on Sept 11th was in the nest box, as was egg 4 & 5 today, in the same nest box.
Seems they like the 4 box to the right.
tongue.png

Happy eggs!
wee.gif

I would check to see if they go into the nesting boxes at all. I just got my first egg Saturday and I noticed that they were going into the nesting boxes. I had put a golf ball into one of them but ironically she laid in a different box. I too have an external nesting box so once they started squatting I would open the box and talk to them and their insatiable curiosity (plus they probably wanted treats) and they came up into the boxes, went from one to the other, played with the straw etc.

These first two pics are before we had finished the coop...

82286_nestingboxopen.jpg

82286_dscf0015.jpg

82286_dscf0027.jpg

Heehee, first eggs are such a guessing game. Will it have a shell, what size will it be, where will you find it..... etc.

My guess is that instincts will only get you so far. It's not like they get Adult Ed classes on what to expect. I bet the first egg is weird as all get-out for them "What the heck is THAT?? Did it come out of ME? Ack!"

Back
Top Bottom