lake cumberland game birds?

I'm on day 23 on my eggs from Lake Cumberland and 0 hatched and when I received them post office didn't deliver to my house they left box with eggs at mailbox so I assume the worst so far on hatch ability. I blame post office and we had snow on the ground at the time..lol oh well I'll let um run a couple more days see if any hatch.
hu.gif
fl.gif

Don't sweat it yet 23-24 days I have had them hatch on day 27 or I counted wrong lol
I personally wont ever order there again but I have said that and do hope you the best of luck in the next couple days
Have you candeled/checked for pips ?

I just ordered from them for the first time. I ordered nothern bobwhite accidentally instead of Georgia bobwhite. I tried to call and e-mail a whole bunch to change my order with no response. It took 3 weeks to get my order, which is not that bad for 100 eggs, but 1/2 were infertile. I heard that they were having bad weather which really affects mating. So, I don't know if that was my fault or theirs? Any ways 60.00 for 50 fertile eggs is a bummer. There needs to be a more dependable supplier.

I don't like bashing companies, but I have got better hatches on e-bay. I ordered Tibetan quail from e-bay and got a 85% hatch. I get 90% and up at home with my Australorps and Button quail. I can't wait until the northers hatch the chicks look good so far in the eggs. I had some early embryo deaths at day 3 or so, but only 1 with late embryo death. Tones of movement from the chicks. I have good humidity and temp with auto turners. I think Cumberland is into quantity not quality. Not sure though just what it seems.

Quote:
I always pick up my eggs in my local USPS distribution center, make seller put "call on arrival" note on the package just like hatcheries do with live chicks.

I believe hatching eggs may incur more damage on a stop and go bumby postal delivery truck than during the whole previous trip especially if you are on end of a route like I am.

I had 80% hatching rate on one of my shipping eggs last year rare and pricey Barnevelder Bantams.

Has anyone ordered any of there jumbo brown coturnix? I was thinking of ordering some from them and they say they have really big birds which is what im looking for. Or can someone suggest to me someone I can order some jumbo eggs from? thanks

Quote:
Yes i have used their jmubo brown coturnix xld-1 eggs with very good results. They are nice birds with good size. Also just a bit slower to mature and produce eggs, but then again they have farther to go to get to full size than standard coturnix.

Just a couple of points for the record here....

1. You will never acheive the same hatch rate on shipped eggs as you have at home! This is an unreal expectation. 50% on shipped is considered by most hatchers average/ acceptable rate. While this is not a hard and fast rule, and there's always exceptions, this is the most common result.

2. You can trick a quail hen into laying with artificial light during the winter time but fertility will be lower than during the normal breeding season--- This is basic quail biology. If you order/ buy/ set your own eggs during this time expect it. Or it should be at least considered in the back of your mind when you do this...

I was thinking of trying red oak for a coupla dozen cotunix he has farm pick up right now I think the weather is still a bit cold yet . there is a guy down this way trying to sell some butler bob eggs

Back
Top Bottom