Lame baby chick

Tomato seeds are not chick food.

Mix a little bit of sugar into some warm water and use an eyedropper or 1cc syringe (no needle, just the plastic syringe) to gently apply a drop of the sugar water to the crack of the chick's beak on the side- don't try and open its mouth. Sometimes that sugar water will perk them right up and bring them around to eating- again, it needs chick food!!!

Chicks need something like Purina's Start and Grow or Flock Raiser. These are available in small bags at most feed stores. For tonight you could also hard boil an egg and try feeding it the yolk, or scrambled eggs (no salt or pepper).

However, if the chick is only 2 days old, it should still be nourished by the yolk sac it absorbs right before it hatches. So it may be one that just doesn't thrive for whatever reason. Check it's vent to make sure it's not caked over with poop... here's a good guide complete with pictures:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/pasty-butt-in-chicks-causestreatmen/

Attachments

• 20210727_024859.jpg
    20210727_024859.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 5
ohh they might be a bit too young to be out of the egg (but a day and a half might be too long from pipping to zipping) and might still think they are in the their eggs. I had this happen with my first hatch it sat in the egg and gave up and i thought it would die so i helped it out sadly it was too weak to survive sadly.

a lot of people argue about helping eggs out as some say if they are not strong enough to go out on their own they might. it can sometimes take 24h to finish absorbing the yolk. but i don't think i have had one a day and a half not sure about others here though.

if a lot of them got stuck it might have been caused by the humidity? hows the humidity on the last 3 days? and how many chicks are there now?
Look
this happened to one of my chicks a while back and i agree tomato seeds might not be too nourishing. mine was a bit older and i fed it some handfeeding formula (i feed my baby parrots these so i had some laying around but i don't think it is mandatory), mixed with a bit of mushed up chick feed since it was so weak it couldn't eat on it's own i had to syringe feed it. doing so could be dangerous if you don't know how though. You can't always save some chicks though, some just perish even from all the effort maybe just born a bit weaker then the others.
Look look its trying to stand on its own

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-034517_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-034517_Instagram.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 5
Idk how to check the humidity... theres 3 alive thanks to God. And 2 in the incubator still hatching. Right now i quarantined one, the one about this post and its chirping and still trying to walk. Ik God will put his hand over and do its will. The chick seems to put up a fight to survive
i would recommend a thermometer and hygrometer combo to help out on your hatch especially if you are thinking of doing another hatch. for last 3 days before hatching the humidity should be at 65% to 75% to help keep the membrane from shrink wrapping them.

Look

Look look its trying to stand on its own
good to see improvement! goodluck with your chick.

Back
Top Bottom