Lame Chicken? Old age? arthritis?

Kikime

Hatching
5 Years
May 25, 2014
Midnight is limping and hardly moving. A few weeks ago, I had another chicken die from sour crop. The next day Midnight seemed to be panting a bit although it was a warm day. I was worried she might have sour crop too. So I confined her and massaged her crop. I then fed her some coconut oil mixed with a bit oregano oil. The next day yogurt. She seemed fine the next day but when I sent her back into the chicken yard I noticed a slight limp. I thought I may have accidentally injured her. She would hold up her right foot when not walking.

The limp seems to have progressed. A few days ago she was slow to come out of the coop in the morning. So I helped her down off the roosting bar (there is a ramp too) and off she went to eat and drink then settled in a cool area the yard. She was slow to rally to nibble on some strawberry scraps not as enthusiastically as the others. She seemed to have difficulty getting up but once she was moving she did ok. I have actually been surprised to find her on the roosting bar each night. This morning I helped her down she flapped over to a corner of the coop and stayed there. Knowing it was going to be hot today I took her to was cool shady area of the yard. I gave a bowl of water and she drank. She barely moved a few feet except when I tried to pick her up and that got her walking. She is the least comfortable with human contact in my flock.

Other than her limp and lack of mobility she looks good. Her comb is red and perky, vents look good, no obvious injuries or swelling, checked for bumble foot, eyes are bright and no growths. She had some illness or condition last year where she just seemed lethargic and not herself (easily let me pick her up). Vet didn't know what it was but charged me $90 gave a round of antibiotics. She pulled out of her funk after about 2 months and has seemed fine since.

Midnight is the only chicken in my flock that was adopted from another home over 2 years ago. I am not sure of her age but likely 3 or 4. Could this be arthritis or old age? I read about Marek's but I am not sure how to fully DX, but she certainly doesn't have the splayed legs and wings I viewed in pictures. Her wings are neatly folded and keeps her legs tucked under. I think my husband would rather off her than spend another $90+. My kids and I would like to help her if there is a chance. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

how old is she? and what breed? it is possible that she is getting arthritis, but it would be a bit strange that she shows it suddenly like that. she may have just damaged her leg from a rough landing or something. But its a good idea to keep an eye on her and see what happens. though unless there is an infection I wouldn't bother with antibiotics as it wouldn't be needed and may do more harm than good.

I think she is around 4. I not sure of her breed but think she might be black copper muran.

that's not old for a hen, unless she is a hybrid type, if that's the case then yes shes old. try to keep an eye on her, if she gets worse then it maybe nicer to put her down. if she has some brusing or a sprain it should get better with time and rest

Back
Top Bottom