Lame Duck Getting Better?

Kaw

Songster
Oct 19, 2020
We have a Runner Duck who went lame three weeks ago. We brought her inside but she was missing her flock.
Since she is using her leg now, a bit, to balance I put her out with the flock.
I see she is the last out of the pond and often won’t try unless she is very hungry or it’s time to go to the coop at night. I worry she isn’t getting enough food, but I plucked her up a few nights and brought her in; now it seems her goal is just to move fast enough she can stay with her flock.
I hope she continues ti heal and withstands any jostling by other ducks. I am not sure she will if I bring her inside again.

Attached, pics watching TV with her in an attempt to keep her company...

Attachments

• EA7FD9A3-E236-4874-9DB7-6A7B709294ED.jpeg
    EA7FD9A3-E236-4874-9DB7-6A7B709294ED.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 38F9A9CE-2F74-4EC1-BA19-CCD37E35A980.jpeg
    38F9A9CE-2F74-4EC1-BA19-CCD37E35A980.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 10
If you want to keep her with the flock but be protected, you can put her in a dog crate in your coop. You can put her in a fenced area with water and food. In my experience, the other ducks come to visit during the day. They also tend to sleep by the dog crate, keeping the duck company. It would allow her to be with the flock, but still take it easy and continue to heal.

If you want to keep her with the flock but be protected, you can put her in a dog crate in your coop. You can put her in a fenced area with water and food. In my experience, the other ducks come to visit during the day. They also tend to sleep by the dog crate, keeping the duck company. It would allow her to be with the flock, but still take it easy and continue to heal.

Thank you. Those are good ideas. I out her out in our “no quacks be gone,” (pic attached). which has a barrier 3 ft high but no roof. I was shocked to see she wasn’t in there when I checked on her. She wanted to be with the others so much she flew higher and farther than any runner duck I have seen. Then they picked on her, and she just stood alone with her bad foot out in front of her. We don’t have another dog crate or anything small enough to put in their coop.
I did put her in their coop when they were out, but not sure if she had an infection so only recently tried...and she sat all day away from the water bowl.
She seems happy now, but I will keep an eye on her. Maybe I can bring her in for only a few hours to feed her on her own.

Attachments

• 5F3B22FF-FD4B-42AE-9624-17B0B838FC36.jpeg
    5F3B22FF-FD4B-42AE-9624-17B0B838FC36.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 8
Thank you. Those are good ideas. I out her out in our “no quacks be gone,” (pic attached). which has a barrier 3 ft high but no roof. I was shocked to see she wasn’t in there when I checked on her. She wanted to be with the others so much she flew higher and farther than any runner duck I have seen. Then they picked on her, and she just stood alone with her bad foot out in front of her. We don’t have another dog crate or anything small enough to put in their coop.
I did put her in their coop when they were out, but not sure if she had an infection so only recently tried...and she sat all day away from the water bowl.
She seems happy now, but I will keep an eye on her. Maybe I can bring her in for only a few hours to feed her on her own.
Bummer. That looks like it would not be too hard to put a net on it in the furtue if you need to.

If she is spending time in the pond, the floating should help rest her legs. The swimming is a good way to exercise the leg with less strain. As long as she is still eating plenty of food, she will probably be fine. You can also weigh her to make sure she is eating enough. Someone else may have more experience and thoughts on it.

Bummer. That looks like it would not be too hard to put a net on it in the furtue if you need to.

If she is spending time in the pond, the floating should help rest her legs. The swimming is a good way to exercise the leg with less strain. As long as she is still eating plenty of food, she will probably be fine. You can also weigh her to make sure she is eating enough. Someone else may have more experience and thoughts on it.

Great idea about the net and to weigh her. Thank you.
When she was inside I had her in a bath a few hours a day to help support her and so she could exercise the keg (although for most of two weeks it was tucked up).
I feel better thinking that floating in the pond she is getting e er use without strain. I hadn’t thought if it that way. Another reason I kept her in was ice. It had been very slipoery and I didn’t wNt a set back As long ad it is warm enough so there is no ice, I will let her float in the pond.

Back
Top Bottom