Lame duck?

Eroc1_1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
I noticed today that one of our 2 1/2 week old ducklings (a Welsh Harlequin) will kinda crawl around to get to food and water. She will stand and walk around a little but it is like she prefers to scoot along the ground. I switched them all from a 20% starter this morning to a 15% grower/finisher. I get them fresh water 2x day with a 1/4 teaspoon of Vita-Pak* (contains niacin, vitamins, and minerals) mixed in per gallon. I am hoping that it is just a part of the growing phase. She doesn't get picked on that I can see at all. The 'pen' is a kids swimming pool with towels spread out on the floor. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

* By Agrilabs Vitamins & Electrolytes "Plus" - It is what the hatchery offered

Edited to show what the Vita-pak was.

Last edited:
At around 2 weeks, one of my runners (Ally) decided not standing was pretty cool. She's just kind of hang out on the back of her legs. They grow so quick at this age, maybe their legs just hurt from all that growing. But she'd get up and walk normal to get places, but if she wasn't on the go, she'd just plop down on the back of her legs.

IMG_1553.jpg

Make sure that the starter has niacin in it. The chicken starter does not have it. The finisher should be given at a later time when they are about 4-5 months old.

Here's a few more pics of her doing it - if your duck is doing something similar, I'd just keep doing what you are doing.
(I didn't change their food from flock raiser to layer until they were 4 months old - kept them on the flock raiser until then and used niacin for the first 3 weeks or so in their water - seems too early to change them to a grower/finisher food)

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

Last edited:
Ducklings do grow so fast- that its not always just a deficiency that will cause weakness. I notice sometimes one of mine will be a bit shakey for a few days - being Runners- the leg placement and the fact their legs are so long can make it look worse than it really is. If they are in a confined area- they may benefit from going outside for short times where they can get some exercise to strengthen the muscles in their legs. How is she if you give her a swim? Some water therapy could be beneficial to her at the moment too.

Quote:
I was supplementing the water with the Vita-Pak and it has niacin in it - but maybe not enough. It is made by Agrilabs (Vitamins & Electrolytes"Plus") and had directions of 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

Starter/Grower/Finisher - I was under the impression from a DH book and others that I show take them off of 20% to a lower 15% after about 2 weeks. I was going by what I have read. This is the starter that I have been using. Dumor 20% Chick Starter/Grower - http://www.tractorsupply.com/poultry-feed/dumor-reg-chick-starter-grower-20--1039256

At around 2 weeks, one of my runners (Ally) decided not standing was pretty cool. She's just kind of hang out on the back of her legs. They grow so quick at this age, maybe their legs just hurt from all that growing. But she'd get up and walk normal to get places, but if she wasn't on the go, she'd just plop down on the back of her legs.

I hope it is just a phase.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I let them swim everyday to every other day for about 10 - 15 minutes or so. She does well in the water. I will be putting them outside in their 'duck house' I built for them this weekend. It will have more a little more space for them to roam.

TLWR - That is what she will do. Or she will also kinda scoot around on her belly.

Quote:
I was supplementing the water with the Vita-Pak and it has niacin in it - but maybe not enough. It is made by Agrilabs (Vitamins & Electrolytes"Plus") and had directions of 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

Starter/Grower/Finisher - I was under the impression from a DH book and others that I show take them off of 20% to a lower 15% after about 2 weeks. I was going by what I have read. This is the starter that I have been using. Dumor 20% Chick Starter/Grower - http://www.tractorsupply.com/poultry-feed/dumor-reg-chick-starter-grower-20--1039256

The chicken starter does not have niacin in it. Ducks need niacin to develop properly and prevent abnormal problems like legs, like what you have and also wry neck like I've seen others post. All ducks are different, so each could have a better "tolerance" of less niacin. However, the point remains: get them on game starter now before you have more problems. The duck with the leg problem may or may not get better, but make sure the rest don't follow the pattern.

Quote:

The chicken starter does not have niacin in it. Ducks need niacin to develop properly and prevent abnormal problems like legs, like what you have and also wry neck like I've seen others post. All ducks are different, so each could have a better "tolerance" of less niacin. However, the point remains: get them on game starter now before you have more problems. The duck with the leg problem may or may not get better, but make sure the rest don't follow the pattern.

he stated several times that he is supplementing niacin in their water.

Back
Top Bottom