Lame hen

beckyam

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 25, 2014

I don't really know what is going on wjth this girl. Her right foot is lame. Her legs and feet are different colours(none of the others are like that) and around the ankle is swollen and if you press on it there seems to be some liquid that is in there. Thoughts?

IMO, cull her not to jump to conclusions but I don't think you can fix a lame foot. Broken is healable but..., Was here foot black like that b4?

Looks like some serious infection. I agree, in this case, best to cull. I'd also be sure to dispose of the body where it won't be likely to infect any other animals. Is your ground frozen? Nice hot fire, and cremate? You might also want to contact your local agricultural extension service and see if they offer any testing. I'm concerned that you've got a contagious disease process going on here.

There is one other chicken that tends to stand on one leg but but she looks normal, no swelling, nothing like this. They are cleaned out almost once a week and are nice and warm. I'll have to do some checking on what it could be, and in the meantime dispose of this poor girl. We recently added 15 new hens to the flock, maybe something came from them...
Thanks for the help !

Back
Top Bottom