Lameness caused by mites?

MommyTwiggy

Songster
Apr 16, 2019
Malaysia
I need help please 😔
My silkies suffered a red mites infestation. Currently the mites are being dealth with but unfortunately, one of my silkies had somehow become lame on one leg. His left leg seems to be weak. He can still move it somewhat but he can't put weight on it to support himself.

Does anyone know if he can be cured somehow? Will he be able to regain strength on his left leg?

It could be the mites causing the weakness, but Mareks disease virus is common, and I would try to rule that out. How are you treating the mites? Permethrin or spinosad are good treatments commonly used. Symptoms of Mareks can include weakness, numbness, or paralysis of one or both legs or wings, sometimes a twisted neck, tumors on skin or on organs, and sometimes eye changes. If you should lose her eventually, if you do a necropsy and take pictures of the organs to post here, it can help with a diagnosis. If vet care or a poultry school could do the necropsy and any testing, that would be best. I really hope that she is just having a temporary sprain or sore foot, and not Mareks.

It could be the mites causing the weakness, but Mareks disease virus is common, and I would try to rule that out. How are you treating the mites? Permethrin or spinosad are good treatments commonly used. Symptoms of Mareks can include weakness, numbness, or paralysis of one or both legs or wings, sometimes a twisted neck, tumors on skin or on organs, and sometimes eye changes. If you should lose her eventually, if you do a necropsy and take pictures of the organs to post here, it can help with a diagnosis. If vet care or a poultry school could do the necropsy and any testing, that would be best. I really hope that she is just having a temporary sprain or sore foot, and not Mareks.
Oh man.. i really pray it isn't Mareks. I love him so much 😭 thank you, meanwhile i'll do what i can to keep him comfy

Back
Top Bottom