Lameness/weakness in flock

There's nothing that I know off that they could have gotten into - they were kept in an environment where they would not be able to get something unless we brought it to them. Most of the grain we got was store bought, and some was the leftover wheat we cleaned out of our combine, and crushed grain corn we get from the grain cleaning (oh the pros of living on a cash crop farm) an non looked/smelled to be moldy/contain toxins. Other then the grain they've been getting lots of watermelon, lettuce, and fresh alfalfa all summer. There is nothing in their coop that would be toxic to them.

Reading through the 'look-like-Mareks' the only one I thing could be plausible would be a vitamin deficiency, *maybe* it could be parasitic but I only say that because I can't be certain if thy have it or not...

I'm currently at school again, but my mom told me she was able to get 'vetoquinol' (apparently this is a brand they always used when we had dairy animals).

And yes, my Roo with the eyes is able to see well and his pupils react to light quite well.

Last edited:
Kinda - but it does have good ventilation. I did take them out every now and then in a kennel/crate (they are really handy).

We are going to build a run for them in the summer, but this year it would have been too much to do at once with all the other renovations that we where doing on the farm (tearing down old Silos, 'fixing' the pond, cleaning out the old barn..ect..).

Chicks outside:

The alfalfa grass mix we feed them:

I will, I'm heading home for the long weekend (Thanksgiving in Canada) so I'll be able to check in them and see how they are doing compared to last weekend.

Hey guys update - the chickens are all starting to slowly but surely get better, some are still a bit wobboly but they have their spunk back :) I hope it was really just a vitamin diffieciency, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out if anything pops up again.

Back
Top Bottom