lamp type

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
I've seen old posts on what lamps to raise chicks with: 250 watt, 100 watt red flood light, incandescent, etc

I bought an acrylic fish tank today (30 gallon) for 2 chicks. I didn't buy my light yet, but i'd imagine a typical red light would work fine. I don't want to roast my lil birds with a 250 watt bulb. It'll be in my bedroom which gets to about 50 without a heater or i could leave my heater on like 60.

Any tips how I can make sure they're warm without being too hot? I'm gone for 8-9 hours a day as well

thanks

I've been using a 150W ceramic heat emitter - I like that it doesn't throw any light, so the chicks get a natural night-time. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the fixture. I've also been experimenting with using an in-line dimmer, which seems to be working ok - saves me from having to futz with the height of the lamp.

that sounds like a good idea. Will i ever have to worry about the tank getting too hot? i worry because i can't be there to fix it

In a fish tank environment it could get very hot inside.
You definitely do not need a 250 watt bulb!
Before you put the chicks in, experiment with the heating checking the thermometer often to see what works.
Temps vary throughout the day, so check it often.
Then you'll get a feel for what works best for your situation.

Good luck!!

smile.png

As alienchick suggested - experiment, experiment, experiement!!! BEFORE you get your chicks. I use the red bulbs myself, but after testing out my lamp at different heights (and please DON'T rely on the clamp most lamps come with - wire it in place), I found that a 250, no matter where I positioned my lamp, was far too hot. So I'm using a 100 W red reptile bulb in my brooder. I have 75W reptile bulbs on hand too, for when I go down in temperature.
Remember, you want your goal temp to be directly under the lamp, so that they can move away from that temp. when needed.

Sounds like a red 100w would work. I have an electronic thermometer that tells me min and max. I reset the temps and then setup the light before you get your chicks and see how temps move around. Been tweaking mine since yesterday for chicks coming tomorrow.

Methods others have mentioned will also work.

i'll have to experiment quickly because thursday is our prospective day of getting the chicks from the feed store. if we miss it, we'll g again april 4th. that'll give me plenty of time to experiemtn. I'll get a 100W, 75W, and maybe one higher and return what i don't use. Thanks for the advice.

the reptile lamps do look good as I've seen them, but price is an issue (unless i find one on craigslist)

also, i should make a note that they'll be indoors. my room is usually 50-55 without the heater. i think 100 w should be good. if its too hot, they can wander from the lamp

Back
Top Bottom