Landscape cloth or hardware cloth under sand run?

mlpollard, I have hardware cloth under my pen and it's great. I think probably because my property is on sugar sand, so everything goes thru and dries up and disappears. Could it be that your drainage is preventing the mess from clearing?

Yes, the area I have my run tends toward wetness so, no matter how much sand I would mix in it would just increase the muck. I have very hard packed soil in my back yard plus there were 2 cloths down, one on top of the other preventing the type of drainage I needed....YIKES! Since I removed the cloth the smell has disappeared and the flies diminished tremendously! I didn't need the cloth in the run as I don't mid a few weeds, especially chickweed and mint to grow, as my Hens love it!
I suppose the method each persons keeps thier run varies from climate to climate. I am in the Midwest and had a WET winter and a WET spring! So I would proceed with caution when putting down the cloth.
:)

With drainage issues I would suggest burying underground drainpipes (the kind with loads of holes in it), putting a layer of gravel (about half inch big rocks) and then dirt/sand on top. The drainpipes of course need to drain out to a lower level than than the level which they're buried to at the site that needs to be drained. This way you wont have the icky water collecting in the run.

Back
Top Bottom