Langshan gender

Updated photos taken tonight. Turned 12 weeks on Saturday. I can't see anything by way of saddles or hackles. This bird freaks any time it sees a phone so a lot of photos were white blurs. Comb/wattles have gotten bigger but not huge. More experience with keener eyes is appreciated. Still cockerel or fast growing pullet?

My 2 Langshan cockerels from the Ideal Dozen were slow to feather and late to develop, but definitely had large, if not bright, combs compared to their breed-sister.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/introducing-the-ideal-dozen.1469451/

My 2 Langshan cockerels from the Ideal Dozen were slow to feather and late to develop, but definitely had large, if not bright, combs compared to their breed-sister.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/introducing-the-ideal-dozen.1469451/
Reading through your thread now.
This one in question is a week younger than my other two langshans (first time with the breed) but sprouted a comb faster. He (most likely) caught up in physical size but still has a bigger brighter comb in comparison. I guess i expect a single comb cockerel to have a much bigger comb by 12 weeks than this one so i keep hoping its a pullet. Im generally terrible at sexing chickens.

Update which may not surprise many: it's a boy! The saddles and hackles finally started to come in. Same with the BLRW and ayam cemani I've posted about. This morning I heard a new funky baby crow thats either the langshan or wyandotte.

You can expect a really glorious rooster as he matures.

This is Ludwig the other day -- he's 7 months now.

1231211627_HDR.jpg

You can expect a really glorious rooster as he matures.

This is Ludwig the other day -- he's 7 months now.

View attachment 2948410
Beautiful boy! Yes, I'm looking forward to see how he turns out. Hes very tall and sorta walks like a dog with shoes on. He's quite timid with me though. The BLRW and cemani keep respectful distance but still curious. I'm just not looking forward to dealing with 5 hormonal cockerels. The oldest 2 are a pain right now so they're by themselves. I've noticed the pullets like being around the langshan, blrw, and cemani though so I hope that continues but they're only 17-18 weeks. The oldest are coming up on 20.

Beautiful boy! Yes, I'm looking forward to see how he turns out. Hes very tall and sorta walks like a dog with shoes on. He's quite timid with me though. The BLRW and cemani keep respectful distance but still curious. I'm just not looking forward to dealing with 5 hormonal cockerels. The oldest 2 are a pain right now so they're by themselves. I've noticed the pullets like being around the langshan, blrw, and cemani though so I hope that continues but they're only 17-18 weeks. The oldest are coming up on 20.

Good luck with that crew!

I find the gawky looks and behavior of "teenage" roosters endearing. But then I also enjoy seeing human teenage boys passing through that stage too.

Back
Top Bottom