Langshan Thread!!!

Hi All, Wanted to start poking around. I am really interested in this breed and as soon as my brooder clears out i will be in the market to try and aquire some quality stock! i do have a question thought, langshan vs croad langshan....what is diff? and is it just the croads that will lay the purple eggs? Not really a concern as im inlove with blacks, but was just curious! I am about 5 pages into the thread as of right now, but have a loong way to go! thanks guys and gals!

Check out the Feathersite information on Langshans for pictures. The Langshan found in the U.S. and the Croad Langshan are the same i.e. they have the 'U' shape to their backline. The Australian type has a lower tailset 45 degrees and the German Langhsan is clean legged and gamey. To me they look like a softball on stilts.

I love, love, love this breed! I only have a Black pair right now and have both white and black chicks on order from Mr. Urch. They are the most docile and stately looking birds. BIG! And the green sheen in the black feathers....simply stunning!

The eggs aren't purple if you are thinking grape or plum colored. My girl lays a dark brown egg, but not as dark as the Marans. The marans eggs are more chocolate brown to dark brick reddish, while the Langshan is more of a burgundy to rosey toned brown. Think warm toned brown vs. cool toned brown if that helps.

Last edited:
Hey Nick, Where in Jersey are you? I grew up in Monmouth Co. then relocated to VA. I'd love to get some of your hatching eggs if you're willing to send them south :)

Hi All, Wanted to start poking around. I am really interested in this breed and as soon as my brooder clears out i will be in the market to try and aquire some quality stock! i do have a question thought, langshan vs croad langshan....what is diff? and is it just the croads that will lay the purple eggs? Not really a concern as im inlove with blacks, but was just curious! I am about 5 pages into the thread as of right now, but have a loong way to go! thanks guys and gals!
Welcome to the thread, Cockle-Dood! I'll let someone more experienced than I am answer your Croad question! I'm sure thorleif will have some insightful comments for us since he is in South Wales where they do have Croads.
smile.png

Check out the Feathersite information on Langshans for pictures. The Langshan found in the U.S. and the Croad Langshan are the same i.e. they have the 'U' shape to their backline. The Australian type has a lower tailset 45 degrees and the German Langhsan is clean legged and gamey. To me they look like a softball on stilts.

I love, love, love this breed! I only have a Black pair right now and have both white and black chicks on order from Mr. Urch. They are the most docile and stately looking birds. BIG! And the green sheen in the black feathers....simply stunning!

The eggs aren't purple if you are thinking grape or plum colored. My girl lays a dark brown egg, but not as dark as the Marans. The marans eggs are more chocolate brown to dark brick reddish, while the Langshan is more of a burgundy to rosey toned brown. Think warm toned brown vs. cool toned brown if that helps.
Holy snap. That is a perfect description of the differences in egg color. Never would have thought to write it out that way!

As to the Croad vs. American, as I was corrected before, I believe, by thorleif:
The Langshan found in the US is thought to be a descendant of the Croads in the UK. There are no exact dates as to when this bird was brought into the US, so I'm under the assumption that all Langshans in the US were originally Croads.

That being said, when one mentions the name "Croad", it seems all anyone can seem to connect with the name is the egg color. I do not know why, but it's like blinders are put on once that name hits their eyes/ears. I have photos of the egg color of many of my eggs, but I will tell anyone that I sell eggs/birds to that the egg color will vary as I do not breed for egg color.

If you are in an area close to Mr. Urch, I would definitely say that he would be an excellent start. If you are more in the Ohio area, Joe Oakley has some darn good birds. In all 3 colors if I remember correctly! ;)

If you're in PA and can make a trip, msladyhawke and I believe blarneyeggs may have a few and there is Harvey Noel in Pittsburgh as well.

And let's not forget! The bantams are in need of more representation as well! They are not your ordinary bantams! ;)

excellent info guys and gals, thanks alot. as i said i am just scratching the surface of what and who these birds are and really like the looks of them. i am in texas so not really anywhere near that list a breederd, but as long as shipping eggs is an option im only a day or 2 away, right?

at this moment in time, i am not leaning in any one direction but just trying to get a solid basis and plan in mind for these birds. im just getting back into the game now that im grown up with a kid of my own and want him to be raised simliar to me (showed bantam cochins, and pekin ducks as a kid in 4H and also did some judging of sheep, cattle and swine). It definately give you a good respect of where your food comes from and the amount of time and effort invovled with doing something like that properly.

Langshans seriously caught my eye because i love the feather'd legs, but really wanted to stay away from bantams and cochins all together, i guess i just had my fill of those guys! langshans have such a great posture and almost seem regal in the photos and videos i have looked at, and not to mention is a little off the norm, if you know what im saying. rows and row of RIR and PBR and NH cram the shows down here in the south and i like something that will stand out...speaking of this, these chickens are heat tolerant arent they? i guess i havent seen it printed straight out, but that could really disuade me as it is march 15th and we are already in the 80's!!

excellent info guys and gals, thanks alot. as i said i am just scratching the surface of what and who these birds are and really like the looks of them. i am in texas so not really anywhere near that list a breederd, but as long as shipping eggs is an option im only a day or 2 away, right?

at this moment in time, i am not leaning in any one direction but just trying to get a solid basis and plan in mind for these birds. im just getting back into the game now that im grown up with a kid of my own and want him to be raised simliar to me (showed bantam cochins, and pekin ducks as a kid in 4H and also did some judging of sheep, cattle and swine). It definately give you a good respect of where your food comes from and the amount of time and effort invovled with doing something like that properly.

Langshans seriously caught my eye because i love the feather'd legs, but really wanted to stay away from bantams and cochins all together, i guess i just had my fill of those guys! langshans have such a great posture and almost seem regal in the photos and videos i have looked at, and not to mention is a little off the norm, if you know what im saying. rows and row of RIR and PBR and NH cram the shows down here in the south and i like something that will stand out...speaking of this, these chickens are heat tolerant arent they? i guess i havent seen it printed straight out, but that could really disuade me as it is march 15th and we are already in the 80's!!
Mikaela raises them in Oklahoma. I'm in the Bay area of California but over 2 ridges of foothills from San Francisco so our weather is much hotter. It is not unusual for us to have 100 to 110 degree days in the summer. My Langshans have all done fine with the heat but I've only had Langshans for 2 years now and only just getting ready to breed them. They are my favorite breed. I love their looks, their calm temperament, and their curiosity. I love that they are slow maturing because that means that I can keep the cockerels here in town until they start crowing at around 30 weeks. I also like that they have a long history and aren't a flash in the pan breed that everyone has to have this month only to be abandoned next month. I do have a few of those designer birds and I like them but they have yet to replace my Langshans as my favorite breed!
love.gif

Well you are in my neck of the woods! Excellent! I try to go to Idabel (close to the TX border) once a year for the show that Bo Garrett puts on. They do very well in the heat, but good ventilation is a must. Putting the birds in a barn with no circulation in 110 degree temps does NOT bode well for them. In OK, we have 100s or 110s for weeks on end. They do well with shade and fresh water daily. If it gets too hot or I see a bird starting to go downhill, I will give a dunk in cool water. Better a little bath than losing a bird to heat stroke.

I like the Langshans for the leg feathering as well. It is not as heavy as the Cochins or Brahmas and those legs make me drool. It's 80* today here as well. Thank goodness. As I heard, it was snowing in PA. Mwahahahaha!!!!

Hello dirt farmer
I have some nice SQ Black Langshans. I can send you some baby chicks. If you are interested contact me for more info.
Thanks for the offer. I'm currently am full up with regard to grow out space. I have a NPIP flock and have to raise anything new in separate flocks unless they are from a NPIP flock also. Right now I'm putting all new chicks on hold until everything has been tested in July, then I can consolidate. But next spring is another story.

So, those tall gangly white chicks that I thought might be Langshans are now about 5-6 weeks old and still no feathers on their bodies, really don't look much more feathered than when I posted pic above. Size has continued to outpace other chicks in brooder. Does this sound unusual? I can't remember and it's been way too long since I had Langshan chicks (working on assumption that that's what they are). Only mention it because the last 10 days since I posted that many of the other chicks, both bantam an large have a ton of feather development and these guys are lagging behind it seems.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom