Langshan Thread!!!

If you're serious about wanting a good cockerel, I would suggest calling them a cockerel. The term "roo" is an automatic turn off for breeders and almost instantly states that the person is not serious about breeding.

I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to let you know that using the term "roo" will generally result in someone not taking you seriously.

Just to help out a bit:
Cock- Male over 1 year of age.
Hen- Female over 1 year of age.
Cockerel- Male under 1 year of age.
Pullet- Female under 1 year of age.

Many times a breeder will not trade a bird. If you are wanting a quality cockerel, you will need to pay or find a breeder that has a ridiculous amount of extra males from this last year (which is entirely possible).

If you're serious about wanting a good cockerel, I would suggest calling them a cockerel.  The term "roo" is an automatic turn off for breeders and almost instantly states that the person is not serious about breeding. 

I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to let you know that using the term "roo" will generally result in someone not taking you seriously.  

Just to help out a bit:

Cock- Male over 1 year of age.

Hen- Female over 1 year of age.

Cockerel- Male under 1 year of age.

Pullet- Female under 1 year of age. 

Many times a breeder will not trade a bird.  If you are wanting a quality cockerel, you will need to pay or find a breeder that has a ridiculous amount of extra males from this last year (which is entirely possible). 

V
thank you for the help I did not know to not call a breeder a Roo, I know a Cock is called a Cockerl I just only usin ROO for short. Ghosh sorry.. I am still new to the whole Chicken thing. But yes I would like one Cockerl for sure he would have to be about 6 months old a bit older be ok..

Thank you

A male is only a cockerel until he is one year old. Then he is called a "cock." A general term for the whole genre is "rooster" however the terms cockerel and cocks just help distinguish the age of a bird. "Roo" is a term that was developed as a short phrase but automatically makes me think of a kangaroo in Australia and is an automatic dismissal of knowledge when I hear someone, especially in person use the term "roo." I'm most certainly not the only breeder that has stated this.

So, should you decide to go with a breeder, I would definitely use the more descriptive terminology.

It's awesome that you are new to poultry! I encourage you to keep joining in and to continue to learn by asking questions!

A male is only a cockerel until he is one year old. Then he is called a "cock." A general term for the whole genre is "rooster" however the terms cockerel and cocks just help distinguish the age of a bird. "Roo" is a term that was developed as a short phrase but automatically makes me think of a kangaroo in Australia and is an automatic dismissal of knowledge when I hear someone, especially in person use the term "roo." I'm most certainly not the only breeder that has stated this.

So, should you decide to go with a breeder, I would definitely use the more descriptive terminology.

It's awesome that you are new to poultry! I encourage you to keep joining in and to continue to learn by asking questions!

Thank you

I love my Lanshan they all sweet and friendly some of them will let me pet them. I am glad to have found this page again :D
;)

Maannnnnn.....my langshans are egg laying machines!! My black langshan has laid 5 days in a row! I only have 4 chickens, but my two langshans are the best at laying. Although it took 9 months and a near death experience for my black langshan to lay, but she is on a roll. Love this breed. :love:cd

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom