Langshan Thread!!!

I'll try to get some better pictures. She's a mystery bird lol

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_115215.jpg
    IMG_20210117_115215.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Hi everyone,
I’m a first time langshan owner, but have other chicken breeds. My langshan chick was born roughly 2 weeks ago. I was wondering about their temperament, hardiness, when they can go outside, etc.
Thanks
-ChickenWhisperer101 View attachment 2587688
This is my Langshan ‘waffles’ at 1 week old
Welcome to Langshans! Waffles is a cute name. They are not a flighty breed. If you’re handling her a lot, she will probably be pretty tame. I’d say they are more cold tolerant than heat tolerant. I’ve had a few juveniles that died from heat when it got up in the 90s. So make sure they have shade they can go in and cool water when it gets hot out.

I raise all my chicks outside, but if I were raising them in the house, they would get moved to a larger brooder in the garage or the coop or somewhere at about two weeks. Then once they get all their feathers, maybe around 4 weeks or so, they would get acclimated to having no heat. Then meet the flock with a barrier, and after a week (or less) open the barrier so they can mingle.

That’s how I used to do it when I used heat lamps. Now I use Mama Heating Pads, and brood chicks in an under-the-roost pen. I don’t necessarily wait for full feathers any more before opening their pen. I play it by ear and if they get picked on too badly, I close up their pen again longer.

Have fun with your chicks, and don’t forget to come back and post more photos as they grow! :frow

Welcome to Langshans! Waffles is a cute name. They are not a flighty breed. If you’re handling her a lot, she will probably be pretty tame. I’d say they are more cold tolerant than heat tolerant. I’ve had a few juveniles that died from heat when it got up in the 90s. So make sure they have shade they can go in and cool water when it gets hot out.

I raise all my chicks outside, but if I were raising them in the house, they would get moved to a larger brooder in the garage or the coop or somewhere at about two weeks. Then once they get all their feathers, maybe around 4 weeks or so, they would get acclimated to having no heat. Then meet the flock with a barrier, and after a week (or less) open the barrier so they can mingle.

That’s how I used to do it when I used heat lamps. Now I use Mama Heating Pads, and brood chicks in an under-the-roost pen. I don’t necessarily wait for full feathers any more before opening their pen. I play it by ear and if they get picked on too badly, I close up their pen again longer.

Have fun with your chicks, and don’t forget to come back and post more photos as they grow! :frow
Thanks for your response. I also brood all of my chicks outside

I hope waffles does ok because I live in Tx and it can get up to 100 degrees on super hot days but recently it’s been cold so I hope when it gets hot she stays healthy and happy, again thanks for the response, I’ll keep you posted, might not post many pictures for a few weeks because alots going on, I’ll try though.

Questions on our Black Langsgan male.

hatch date: early Aug 2020. Nearly 8 months old. Source: Murray McMurray.

How does he look? These 2 pics taken same days about 3 weeks ago.
15D0D6FD-20FD-4E5F-AD48-77EC944081E2.jpeg
0423B394-B885-4D9E-BA08-86FD73899AB8.jpeg

Are they slow to mature? He is not even attempting any kind of hen/pullet interaction. He hides in the coop a lot, but not all the time. He keeps his distance from all the flock during the day (so far), however he does roost on top roost with several top hens/pullets. Roosts are ladder style, so there is a definite top roost.

He is also the youngest in the flock. He entered the flock with several others from same hatch. They integrated fine, but then he was the only one we kept.

In the last week, he comes out of the coop to see what is going on sometimes. But no interest in mating. No other males in the flock. The flock is all various ages of hens to pullets. With oldest hens 3 years old.

he has NOT CROWED even once. No attempts either! Pretty sure he is a male. We did order him as a sexed male.

thoughts? Is he just slow to mature? We have raised BJG before, and they are slow to mature.

Back
Top Bottom