Langshan Thread!!!

How odd that I had to use Google to find this thread. The search function wouldn't find it for me...weird.

Anyway, got some updated pics of Clyde. They're not the best pics thanks to the cell phone, but I couldn't "not" take pics of him!
wink.png

0318101649.jpg

0318101649a.jpg

0318101655.jpg

Anyone else have any photos they'd like to share?

Quote:
We've had a chat about your langshans before.... And now I'm in love. When I get to move and have my large flock, that sounds like the kind of rooster I want, to defend the flock AND father my future pullets! Do they grow pretty fast Rod?

NO. They are VERY slow-growers.

9 months and the males are only about halfway finished. The females look as though they're finished and at about 10 months they'll start laying. They'll fill out a bit more as they age.

For me, the frame is the important thing. As long as the frame is built correctly, the feathers and egg-laying abilities come next.

They were the first ones to lay this year...they also laid well in the summer, some of the only ones that laid in the 110* temps this year.

UGH. Okay well so far that is the ONLY thing that I've found to bother me. So If I crossed them with some barred rocks, EEs, or RIRs... I could have a better fryer right?

LOL....if you let them grow to their "full" potential, they're good for meat. But, they're not as fast growing as the production strains of barred rocks...

Langshans are a good dual-purpose breed, but like all Asiatics, they grow slower than other classes.

Here are my Mcmurray boys will be year old end of april. The one is missing feathers from his tail from the dog massacre in november. Thing 1 and Thing 2

32511_1003070017.jpg

big_smile.png
I like the one in the back better!
big_smile.png

Such beautiful birds! I absolutely adore them. When I wash for shows, I like a struggle...because once they realize the warm water feels GOOD, it's hilarious to see them try and sit down in the bathtub without falling over.

Quote:
Okay time to pick your brains! Why do you like the one in the back better? I know the angle of the pic makes a difference, but it seems to me the boy in the front has a more defined comb and he stands taller. The boy in the back holds his wings higher. Of course I'm just learning what to look for, so I'm asking you! What traits are more important, and what to look for? They aren't common around here.

His back and tail. The front one has a tail that breaks the even flow of the back. The "break" is an automatic turn-off because it says "production" to me. The back bird also seems to have a "wider" tail than the front bird. Asiatics should have tails that make semi-circles, not come to a defined point.

The one in the back has tighter feathering of the wings. The one in the back still has the "break" where the tail meets the back, but it's not as severe as the one up front. The comb, at least to me, is not of huge consequence. I prefer the body aspects than focusing on the comb. Separation is always a good thing in combs, but without a good body, a comb is just a head band on a bad hair day.

Back
Top Bottom