Langshan Thread!!!

Pics
That's a big chicken!

It's probably as tall as my four year old brother. I wonder what he would think of a chicken as big as he is.
smile.png

The eggs are a large I'd say...they lay fairly well, about as well as any dual-purpose breed. They do seem to lay longer near the winter when other birds stop. Of course, when it gets cold enough and the light gets shorter, they stop as well. They do not seem to suffer as much as Cochins in the heat.

As to the males being aggressive? Not in my birds. I've never experienced a male with an attitude problem in the Langshan breed. Hatchery or Exhibition quality. I'm sure there are some out there, but I've never had an issue with it.

Last edited:
Thanks Rodriguezpoultry. I'm really thinking i'd like to get some langshans, but I'm also trying to get a feel for what i'm getting into with them.

I have a Bantam Langsham hen, she is the sweetest lil thing (she is tiny) Her name is Dipsy and she is a lil dipsy too, she doesn't like anything on her face including food, if she gets yogurt on her face she preens herself until she clean and she doesn't like having dirty feet either she's always cleaning them too.
29985_picture_095.jpg

In this picture she is about 6 months old. She is my Favourite hen, she is always clucking away to me and wanting a cuddle.

Quote:
Trying to bump your question up so you can get some more answers!
big_smile.png

I agree with Rodriguez. The eggs are large. I had 3 roos at one time, and now just 2. They have been gentle giants. I never saw them tussle with other breed roos either. Other roos in the breeding pens this spring have been a bit squirrely to deal with, but the Langshan boys have no issue with me coming in to do chores. Even let the dog come in.
smile.png

Quote:
Here are a few from today. They were busy running around so I didn't get any really good shots.

Following Mr Moe
13729_picture_24.jpg

Black girl, missing some back feathers from a Sussex roo.
13729_picture_27.jpg

White girl.
13729_picture_26.jpg

RoPo, I still have those project chicks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom