Langshan Thread!!!

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an improvement they are over their parents!!!! That black must have REALLY infused some good traits! The wings are at an excellent angle and held very tightly. The head on that male! WHEW! The female has a very tight body. Bred to that male though...it'll help loosen up! Excellent leg feathering and good leg coloring! The width of his body is simply breathtaking! The original birds I started with looked more like production Orpingtons with feathers on their legs! What an excellent start on the whites Debi!

Don't worry, his tail will come up. Usually takes until 9 plus months in mine. I have males that are breeding and still don't have their tails in.

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an improvement they are over their parents!!!! That black must have REALLY infused some good traits! The wings are at an excellent angle and held very tightly. The head on that male! WHEW! The female has a very tight body. Bred to that male though...it'll help loosen up! Excellent leg feathering and good leg coloring! The width of his body is simply breathtaking! The original birds I started with looked more like production Orpingtons with feathers on their legs! What an excellent start on the whites Debi!

Don't worry, his tail will come up. Usually takes until 9 plus months in mine. I have males that are breeding and still don't have their tails in.
Thank you, Mikaela! That is so good to hear!!!! I was originally planning on selling Gandalf or eating him and keeping the pullet for my laying flock. But they are looking so good that I'm going to try to keep them or at least sell them as a breeding pair. It helps that my DH loves them! They are his favorite chickens!
wink.png

You are welcome! They are looking good!

After a good look at this chick, I can't tell if it is white or splash! It has PURE snow white feathers. Save for several blue feathers. No black on it..I don't get it? The parents were a splash x black.

By all rights, if anything it would be a pure blue or, if recessive white existed in both parents, a white bird. I just can't imagine a white bird having this many blue feathers?

Nice pictures. But I would not bet on that your pullet really is a pullet. Yeah, I do agree that he/she looks like a pullet, but with that much red in it,s comb I would say: "The jury is still out". Here is a little Christmas treat, for those of you that has not already seen it. It was made by BBC 6-7-8 years ago, and as always with the BBC, some really nice filming. It lasts an hour, and is well worth watching, even if there are no Langshans there. Enjoy!

Thorleif, it really is a pullet. The females in my lines always have their tails in months before the cockerels. The cockerel doesn't have his tail in yet. She has all of the female characteristics of the line I used. I am betting she is from an earlier hatch.

Nice pictures. But I would not bet on that your pullet really is a pullet. Yeah, I do agree that he/she looks like a pullet, but with that much red in it,s comb I would say: "The jury is still out". Here is a little Christmas treat, for those of you that has not already seen it. It was made by BBC 6-7-8 years ago, and as always with the BBC, some really nice filming. It lasts an hour, and is well worth watching, even if there are no Langshans there. Enjoy!
Yikes! Are you talking about my pullet, thorleif?????

Yes I mean your 8 weeks pullet, Pet. I have a line of large whites where I thought I could be confident at sexing them by their tails, but this lot turned the story upside down.

Oh mistake, same picture twice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom