Langshan Thread!!!

Well...color me stumped and confused. Gorgeous pictures though. I can't wait to have Langshans ranging around again. *sigh* They're just beautiful against a green grass backdrop. Can't wait to see as the chick develops.

*sneaks up from behind* Hey Matt!! Starts in with paintgun!!
yippiechickie.gif
Yash!!!
Now, how are those epic eggs coming along dear sir?

*sneaks up from behind* Hey Matt!! Starts in with paintgun!!
yippiechickie.gif
Yash!!!
Now, how are those epic eggs coming along dear sir?
I've got 18 that were fertile and developing at the 7 day mark in the first batch, haven't candled since, they hatch Friday/Saturday. Air cells are weird but I've been told that's normal with shipped eggs. Have a smaller batch (8 fertile if I remember right at the 7 day mark) due the following week.

Had 7/10 local eggs hatch this past week from a mixed dozen that I bought. 4 Silver Penciled Rocks 2 mystery eggs that were marked BC and turned out to be Black Cochin and one mystery chick from an unlabeled egg that looks like either a buff or white wyandotte. Some poultry god somewhere really wants me to raise Cochins, it's NOT happening. Just saying that because I bought those 6 chicks from 4-H group that were supposed to be White Langshans, they were White Cochins, now mystery eggs end up being Cochins...not...happening.

How are your chicks doing? I still have not found a genetic explination for how a blue baby can come from all black parents. stumped but awesome.

I've got 18 that were fertile and developing at the 7 day mark in the first batch, haven't candled since, they hatch Friday/Saturday. Air cells are weird but I've been told that's normal with shipped eggs. Have a smaller batch (8 fertile if I remember right at the 7 day mark) due the following week.

Had 7/10 local eggs hatch this past week from a mixed dozen that I bought. 4 Silver Penciled Rocks 2 mystery eggs that were marked BC and turned out to be Black Cochin and one mystery chick from an unlabeled egg that looks like either a buff or white wyandotte. Some poultry god somewhere really wants me to raise Cochins, it's NOT happening. Just saying that because I bought those 6 chicks from 4-H group that were supposed to be White Langshans, they were White Cochins, now mystery eggs end up being Cochins...not...happening.

How are your chicks doing? I still have not found a genetic explination for how a blue baby can come from all black parents. stumped but awesome.

I candled a little bit, got disheartened and am just holding my breath til next Wed. Maybe a few of them will hatch, they're in lockdown in eggcartons because all the air cells ended up being saddled at the least and even weirder from there in. I have one that's yolk has been at the bottom the entire time
ep.gif
I looked again at lockdown, and it's still there. I've never seen that trick 0.o (Still waiting on my fancier candler light, it'll be here about the time I give up for the season
gig.gif
)
If I recall correctly, the surprise blue is a particular double? recessive gene in that type of case. I'm going to look back and find where I'd read about it, hopefully soon!
duc.gif
Perhaps we'll get lucky and have someone with a Masters pop in and go, oh well that's just so and so chromosome affecting the Y.. >.> I need a book in front of me to sound that brilliant
wink.png

I have hatched out 20 more chicks and havent got another blue one...seems to be an anomally. I have asked the people who have purchased hatching eggs to let me know if they get one. There are about 4 dozen out there so far waiting to hatch from other folks. I havent seen anything on it anywhere either. Weird...

Anybody see my Langshan chicks on the prev page?
Cute chicks! I'm not experienced enough to predict the sex at this point or without more pics. I love my Langshan cockerels! I can't have the roos in town due to noise ordinance and the desire to not upset my neighbors so they go to the farm as soon as they crow. But I love that they are slow developing so most of mine don't crow until they reach around 30 weeks. That means that I get to keep them here with me for a longer period of time.
smile.png

Last edited:
Anybody see my Langshan chicks on the prev page?
I agree too soon to tell sex, I promise there is no "roo" but there may be a cockerel though since you said the tails were different. But as far as that goes I have had multiple lines of Langshans over the years and some lines feather out differently than others, but if you have two that are similar and one that is different from the same source I'd say that's an indicator that they are two different genders.

I have three almost four week old Langshan/Langshan mix chicks that my broody hen hatched. One has a taller stance, shorter tail, and is more brave than the other two. I am guessing that he is a cockerel and the two with longer tails, less upright stance, and timid are pullets. I'll try to take some pics of them to show you.

Back
Top Bottom