Langshan Thread!!!

I would just like to add that the best way to learn a breed's standard is to go to shows and ask the experienced breeders if they wouldn't mind showing you. If there aren't any shows then you could always post pictures and one of the breeders on here could tell you the good and the bad things about them. You also asked why you need more than one pen if you only have one line. That's because one male is not going to be perfect for seven females. It just isn't happening. That's why smaller breedings are better. I use trios and have two per variety. One for my male line and one for my female line. With solid colored varieties that is kind of unnecessary.
Thanks Brahma, I know just the person.
The problem is I can't find any Leghorn breeders on BYC. That's why I came here to ask for breeding tips.
Although I live fairly rural we do have one neighbor which isn't to fond of our already rooster so I think 2 crowing roosters is going to be about as many as I'm allowed.

Quote: I will see if I can find a more extensive version.

Thanks Brahma, I know just the person.
The problem is I can't find any Leghorn breeders on BYC. That's why I came here to ask for breeding tips.
Although I live fairly rural we do have one neighbor which isn't to fond of our already rooster so I think 2 crowing roosters is going to be about as many as I'm allowed.

I will see if I can find a more extensive version.

Just an add-on to what brahma is saying, you don't HAVE to breed from all your females either. If you want to run entire flock together, do it, but then during breeding season (a couple months at most) separate into a couple pens, with the right males, and your best 2 or 3 females. I have a friend that does this with Leghorns. They all run together in his big main coop year round, but he has 3 12x12 pens in addition. He hatches 2 months out of the year, he puts one male and a couple females in each 12x12 pen, once those two months are up, the breeders rejoin the rest of the flock and he uses those pens to finish growing out his young birds, those are the ones he will pick his personal keepers from. By winter time the young birds join his main flock and the extra pens sit empty til next breeding season. If people want to buy eggs or chicks from him he collects them from the combined flock. Just a bit of thinking outside the box that works for him.

This is part of the over thinking it, there's lots of good ways to raise chickens and have good success. You need the following for any sort of breeding program (not including supplies for basic care and such)

1) Housing for adults

2) Breeding pens that fit whatever system you're using (if not the same as #1)

3) Grow out spaces, these can be temporary, but you need a place to grow out your young birds until you can pick through them and cull what you don't want.

4) Brooder space, from day old until they can go outside (usually 6-8 weeks for most birds)

Doesn't a males sperm fertilize 2 weeks worth of eggs though? So if you had 2 roosters ( A and B ) with your flock then when you put the chosen girls off with your chosen rooster you won't know which is the hatching lings father, be it rooster A or B?

I'll have to ask, he probably just moves the birds, then waits two weeks or so before hatching eggs from there, that's what I would do if I was going to copy that scheme.

This is part of the over thinking it, there's lots of good ways to raise chickens and have good success. You need the following for any sort of breeding program (not including supplies for basic care and such)

1) Housing for adults

2) Breeding pens that fit whatever system you're using (if not the same as #1)

3) Grow out spaces, these can be temporary, but you need a place to grow out your young birds until you can pick through them and cull what you don't want.

4) Brooder space, from day old until they can go outside (usually 6-8 weeks for most birds)
YES! more building. I love making new pens etc.
I have most of these, just need some breeding pens.

I'll have to ask, he probably just moves the birds, then waits two weeks or so before hatching eggs from there, that's what I would do if I was going to copy that scheme.
That's what I assumed but just wanted to check.

my one langshan
yippiechickie.gif

Doesn't a males sperm fertilize 2 weeks worth of eggs though? So if you had 2 roosters ( A and B ) with your flock then when you put the chosen girls off with your chosen rooster you won't know which is the hatching lings father, be it rooster A or B?

I thought it can be upto 4 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom