Langshan Thread!!!

Ping! We had that book when I was a kid! I have quite a few running around here so I'll keep an eye out for which one deserves the special name Ping! My other cock that I recently got from Dirt Farmer already has the name Lincoln but we've been calling him Link. That sounds a little more Chinese. His two girls don't have names that I know of so we are looking for nice Chinese names for them. I guess for extra boys we could always go with famous names like Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee!
smile.png
He never answered to Lincoln anyway. Feel free to re-name him. Maybe Chairman Mao.

Hello :)

Who keeps their Langshans as traditional farm fowl? Following a seasonal breeding and culling system, utilizing free range and natural lay rates?
I would like to hear of your experiences :)

M
I have yet to cull any - I only own three Langshans out of 65 chickens. They didn't completely stop laying for the entire winter. I don't use artificial lighting except briefly had a single small string of LED lights (low power) in their hen-house in December but the goats chewed and pulled it down pretty quickly so those were gone after a just a few weeks. They seemed to go a little lighter on the eggs on and off through the coldest part of winter and then were full on laying again almost every day as early as the beginning of March. I see more dropoff in production from the buff orps that keep going broody than I do from the Langshans with their seasonal reduced production.

To start their day they receive a small amount of grain (1 large cup is shared by all) then free range early through mid day and are all herded back into their pen with henhouse by dusk. The grain is to keep them from being so hungry that they dive into the forest area and spend all day in there digging up bugs. The red chickens still tend to go there and haven't lost one yet but I know it is not as safe (in the woods) as it is in the areas the black chickens tend to go instead closer to the house.

This is in North Texas zone 7B.

I have yet to cull any - I only own three Langshans out of 65 chickens. They didn't completely stop laying for the entire winter. I don't use artificial lighting except briefly had a single small string of LED lights (low power) in their hen-house in December but the goats chewed and pulled it down pretty quickly so those were gone after a just a few weeks. They seemed to go a little lighter on the eggs on and off through the coldest part of winter and then were full on laying again almost every day as early as the beginning of March. I see more dropoff in production from the buff orps that keep going broody than I do from the Langshans with their seasonal reduced production.

To start their day they receive a small amount of grain (1 large cup is shared by all) then free range early through mid day and are all herded back into their pen with henhouse by dusk. The grain is to keep them from being so hungry that they dive into the forest area and spend all day in there digging up bugs. The red chickens still tend to go there and haven't lost one yet but I know it is not as safe (in the woods) as it is in the areas the black chickens tend to go instead closer to the house.

This is in North Texas zone 7B.

Thanks for the additional info.....there seems to be very few references of Langshans in a free-range setting. I'm a little surprised as they seem to be very easy keepers and well suited to farm life~ perhaps because the farmers are farming and not cruising chicken forums, lol.

Cheers,
M

Thanks for the additional info.....there seems to be very few references of Langshans in a free-range setting. I'm a little surprised as they seem to be very easy keepers and well suited to farm life~ perhaps because the farmers are farming and not cruising chicken forums, lol.

Cheers,
M
I have a flock of free ranging Langshans as well as some breeding trios. My birds are on a friend's 10 acre farm because I live in town and value to goodwill of my neighbors! We have breeding pens set up but the large layer flock and Langshan hens not currently in the breeding program have a long horse trailer coop that gets moved around in the pasture. They are presided over by 5 Langshan cocks who all get along famously. All of them free range during the day and are shut in the trailer at night. They don't stray too far from the trailer which is good news for our large garden. We very rarely have a problem with predators but the property is fenced and patrolled by 2 Great Pyrenees guardian dogs. People often come to the farm to buy birds and the ones they always want are the Langshan cocks. They comment on how big and beautiful they are. They are probably thinking about how much meat is on them!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom