Langshan Thread!!!

Yeah. Frustrating! Well, he'll either be going away or (hopefully!) if he stays quiet, we can hold onto him. Roosters not allowed in our city. We have been getting a mystery white egg out of one of the 3 new chickens we brought in (the other 2 are supposed to be, and look like speckled sussex and black copper marans) so I was holding out hope it was this gentle giant.

Yeah. Frustrating! Well, he'll either be going away or (hopefully!) if he stays quiet, we can hold onto him. Roosters not allowed in our city. We have been getting a mystery white egg out of one of the 3 new chickens we brought in (the other 2 are supposed to be, and look like speckled sussex and black copper marans) so I was holding out hope it was this gentle giant.
I hope that he is a quiet boy. I kept my Pita Pinta cockerel in town for quite a while by putting him in a dog kennel in the garage at night. I waited until after 9 in the morning to let him out in the yard. The Langshan cockerels that I have raised here in town took so long to crow that they didn't have to go to the farm until around 30 weeks old.

I hope that he is a quiet boy. I kept my Pita Pinta cockerel in town for quite a while by putting him in a dog kennel in the garage at night. I waited until after 9 in the morning to let him out in the yard. The Langshan cockerels that I have raised here in town took so long to crow that they didn't have to go to the farm until around 30 weeks old.
You know, the only other langshan I have had was also a cockerel. Both have "honked" more so than squawking. Is this more of a male thing or a langshan thing?

Would you believe that I am hatching my first Langshan of the season?! I have hatched lots of my rare Pita Pinta breed but just didn't get around to switching the breeding pens from Pita Pinta to Langshan until around 6 weeks ago. My first little fluff balls started hatching Sat evening but they aren't due to hatch until Wed. I took a few eggs out from under a broody hen so they must have had a jump start. The first one out was an adorable blue chick which I'm pretty sure is a boy. He's huge! So far, 2 blues and 2 blacks have hatched. There are 16 more eggs in the incubator and my fingers are crossed. They are the cutest little things! I love my yellow with black spots Pita Pinta chicks but my Langshan chicks have a special place in my heart!
love.gif

Any opinions cockerel or pullet? I've been leaning cockerel but lately I'm thinking maybe pullet? Only one I ended up with from a order of fifteen through Sandhill, they couldn't fill the order :-(
14 weeks I think.

Last edited:

Hello, I live in Southwest Texas, in a Border town called Eagle Pass.
Pictured above is my Blue Langshan rooster, Razzle. I know he's not good quality. Please feel free to offer critique on him. I just started keeping chickens in 2014, but I have fallen in love with the Langshan breed and would like to breed them.
This year I ordered some Feather Footed Fancies from Murray McMurray Hatchery and while I was pleased that every chick was healthy, I was disappointed that out of 15 straight run birds, only 4 turned out to be pullets. Seems to be more than my fair share of boys. Oh well, live and learn!
Only one was a White Langshan cockerel. He's about 14 weeks old in this pic.

I gave him to a friend because I have too many cockerels, and I think he has the same problem as my Blue. His tail is too low, not very close to type.
I like the height and the size of my Blue. One problem in acquiring birds is, it seems most good breeders don't ship, and what available birds they have sell out very quickly, often before they hatch.
I'm looking for advice/counsel.
Here are my questions:

1) Where can I get Langshan chicks/ young birds good enough to start a breeding program?

2) Is there a Hatchery that sells good enough birds that it would be feasible to start with them and work to improve the strain?

3) Is there any point in using my Blue to start a breeding program, if I could find some pullets with good type? Or is it better to just forget about breeding him?

Please don't worry about offending me by your answers. I'm looking for honest answers. Thank you for any advice, counsel or instruction you might have to offer.

You know...the more I try to resist heading to TX, the more people I feel need birds! LOL!

I may be making a trip towards Canton, TX here in November but I can't be certain as of this point. I may have some good pullets and good quality cockerels for sale at that point?

Back
Top Bottom