Lard of the manor

Northern Flights

Songster
May 6, 2018
Cariboo Country BC
I was struck with a sudden inspiration! Why not use old deep fryer oil to make my own winter seed and fat delivery system? We use pure lard (clarified oinker blubber) in our deep fryer (great for building up massive arterial blockages and myriad other vascular occlusions) and we will shortly be replacing the contents with fresh and I reckon the old oil might just be ideal if loaded up with corn flour, BOSS, layer pellets/crumble etc etc. Has anybody else made such a thing out of used lard? Did your flock begin to small suspiciously like french fries?

I too am concerned (hence this question thread) about the rather well cooked particulate matter that has accumulated in said fryer fat, but the Ministry of War and Finance and me have been eating it often with little more than the occasional myocardial infarction or transient ischemic attack. (Of course I jest)

Perhaps though, to be safe, I might consider using fresh lard instead? I can't see needing all that much and lets face it, it's cheap like borscht. Too bad the hens won't smell like french fries though... I used to like that about my old diesel Jetta running on B90.

I am not familiar with lard.
Would you eat it yourself?

I would not use it, no. I'm a big lard fan, but I wouldn't feel comfortable feeding lard that had been heated repeatedly like that, just not worth it to me.

Fresh lard, in moderation, might be okay because, TBH, Suet for wild birds is made from beef fat.
Fun fact, suet is what rendered beef fat is called, like lard is the term for rendered pig fat :)

This, fresh is fine but heated and reheated oils become carcinogenic. Another very good reason to not let your fryer fat get manky.;)
frankly, lard is for humans, seed oil is unfit even for animal consumption. I eat it every day, because the evidence out there shows no hint of it blocking any artery. but lard that has fried numerous times will have toxic components for humans and animals alike.

Back
Top Bottom