Large air pockets, anything I can do to fix my error? - Fixed, I'm an idiot

mrroboto

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm running my first chicken egg incubation and think I screwed it up. I placed the eggs in the incubator and filled the largest water trough as per the included instructions (hovabator), but I forgot to refill the water on the bottom of the hovabator three days later. It is now day 5 and and I candled the eggs, I noticed the air pockets on all are uniformly quite large compared to the ideal pictures I've found - a little beyond what the pictures show as the ideal on day 18. The eggs were obtained locally through a buy and sell site so I am uncertain if they were already low as I did not candle going into the incubator. Eggs are bielefelders if that's important.

I've added water to all channels of the hovabator in an effort to stop further loss of egg moisture. I have no hygrometer, just thermometer.
I am assuming there's no way to actually reverse this moisture loss in the eggs. Wishful thinking - As the chick grows in size will it displace some of the air pocket, perhaps not being too far off of the normal size? Anything I can do?

Edit - I used a more powerful light to inspect the eggs. I was misidentifying the air pocket. If you look at this picture, on the day six egg there's a contrast change about halfway down the egg, I thought that was the edge of the air pocket. With the stronger light I can now see the air pocket and everything matches the pictures perfectly. I have removed the extra water and returned to normal.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Crisis averted - I used a more powerful light to inspect the eggs. I was misidentifying the air pocket. If you look at this picture, on the day six egg there's a contrast change about halfway down the egg, I thought that was the edge of the air pocket. With the stronger light I can now see the air pocket and everything matches the pictures perfectly. I have removed the extra water and returned to normal.

Back
Top Bottom