Large BR Pullet about to be 36 weeks and hasn't laid!

I would think that at 36 weeks you chicken would look, act, and sound very much like a rooster. Do your chickens free range? I had a hen that was 10 months old and I thought she wasn't laying. Low and behold I found a clutch of her hidden eggs. She had 23 of them, so had probably started laying around eight or nine months.
I thought the same. She doesn't free range, just a huge enclosed run. The other hen's eggs are olive green so I'm positive she hasn't laid yet. No interest in eating eggs either as I collect every day with no problems.

That’s a girl.
Thanks. She does have larger weird spur nubs too. Perhaps just a hormone issue after all. I don't mind her not laying as she is company for the other hen. I'm adding 4 golden comet girls I've been raising in a few weeks. She's just a favorite of mine and I'm worried maybe something is wrong internally that could possibly kill her...

I thought the same. She doesn't free range, just a huge enclosed run. The other hen's eggs are olive green so I'm positive she hasn't laid yet. No interest in eating eggs either as I collect every day with no problems.
I’ve heard of some chickens going longer than a year without laying.

If theres spurs coming in, no doubt its a roo. Sorry to be a pest, but could you take pics of the spur nubs?
Hens can have spurs. I have two in my flock with spurs. Not always indicative of sex.

Yes, I know. But add it to the abnormally large comb and wattles, plus not laying when the other hen is, it points to roo for me.
I don’t know if this helps, but I did the math on my hen who started laying approximately in February, and she was 10 months old when she started laying, which is a bit older than this chicken. I just feel a rooster would look like a rooster at this point but I am NOT an expert, just interested in the discourse.

I’ve heard of some chickens going longer than a year without laying.

Hens can have spurs. I have two in my flock with spurs. Not always indicative of sex.
Thanks. I have been holding out for her surprising me with an egg. I totally get that with her comb/wattles and nubs she totally seems to be a roo, but her feathering and the fact that she hasn't crowed at all had me really confused.

Back
Top Bottom