Large BR Pullet about to be 36 weeks and hasn't laid!

Pics
I’ve been raising chickens, well over 45 years now, and there is not much I haven’t seen... There is an uncommon phenomenon, particular to chickens, where a hen will take on the role of the roster, when there is no roster in the flock (Spontaneous Sex Reversal). Although, you may see this assumed “male role” in other species; with chickens, the hen will actually take on physical characteristics and behaviors of a roster, to some degree... They experience hormone changes (don’t worry, this is not unhealthy in any way), which will change their physical/behavioral characteristics, like not laying eggs, development of a more robust comb, grow larger than a hen... and the list goes on... This is not common, but also not extremely rare. Although chickens will thrive quite well without a roster, there are undeniable benefits to having a roster in the flock (I don’t think I need to elaborate on this fact). I think you’ll find that she will begin to behave more like a roster, though in much more subtle ways than a full, intact roster (A Trivial Side Note; Chickens only develop one active ovarie, right side, and the other is an undeveloped gonad on the left). She may even attempt to mount a hen, heard the girls together, and be their “protector and savior”. She may even “try” to crow, however; hens are physiologically un-equipped to crow, so it usually comes out as an odd cackle, or cluck, but she may still try... We most often see this phenomenon in flocks where there was once a roster, or she was once exposed to a roster, but it is not always a prerequisite. This is, in part, a result of the strong social order (pecking order) inherent to chickens. She sees herself as the leader, or top of the pecking order, even if the other girls don’t see her as such. Chickens are able to self regulate their hormones, to some degree, and turn up the production of testosterone, This will cause the development of secondary male sex characteristics, but primary sex characteristics still remain in tact. So, what you have here is a very special bird and a real “Gift” to both you and your flock. She will defend those girls, to the death if necessary, keep peace and order in the flock... everything a roster will provide for his harem, except fertile eggs and incessant crowing, and don’t expect eggs from her (but well worth the expense of feeding one bird, without receiving an egg in return)... Enjoy your special little trannie bird. She will bring you much enjoyment, and provide you with hours of entertainment and many stories to share... Final note: You should treat her as you would treat a roster. She can, and will, develop the more “aggressive” behavior of a roster. So, give him/her space, respect, watch your eye contact and treat “him” as you would a roster. If you never had a roster, or don’t know how to treat a roster, start researching now... s/he is only an adolescent right now, and there are many more new behaviors to come.
Good Luck,
+Blessings
Rev. Dr. Li

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an informative response. I have heard of hens taking on male characteristics with the lack of a rooster. She was briefly exposed to a rooster when one of my "pullets" turned out to be male. He was with them for a week after he began to crow and unfortunately I had to rehome him as sadly I am not allowed to own a rooster within city limits. I haven't owned my own flock before this but I have experience with chickens. My girls stay in a large enclosure, so I don't have to worry much about a dominant Roo coming after me. I wish I could allow them to free-range, but I have a small yard with a low fence and neighbors on all sides that own dogs. Not to mention a good amount of hawks and owls hanging out in the water oak overhead. They seem very pleased with their home though and my one laying girl gives me an egg a day. I will continue to assert my dominance over Alma, as I do with all my chickens hen or not. I take time each day to handle them and assert my dominance by gently lowering and holding them into a squat position while on the ground. I've been very fortunate that my chickens enjoy being picked up and do not mind me poking and prodding them at all. As chicks all my girls were raised in a brooder in my spare bedroom where I took time to bond with them each day. They are very spoiled/loved 😅 I feel lucky to know that Alma may provide a missing link to the flock through her special attributes.

slightly sick and feathered a bit slower.
This could be a clue right here. She could just be a late developer, or, if she had some kind of health issue, she may just never be a “good” layer. Hopefully it’s the former.

It’s a toss up with pullets that reach point of lay at this time of year. Will they lay this fall? Or will they wait until late winter/early spring when the days get longer? It could go either way.

Hi all!

One of my two girls still hasn't laid her first egg and I'm beginning to worry. She's a rather large girl, I believe a BR, and close to 36 weeks. Is this normal??

My other girl is an Olive Egger, much smallet than the BR and started laying back in July. She's a solid every day layer.

The BR still doesn't squat and her legs are still very close together when she stands. She's overall very healthy with a full and quite large bright red comb. Its been large and red for over a month now.

I'm about to add 4 more girls to the flock and after that I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell if she's laying or not 😅

View attachment 2379157
View attachment 2379159
View attachment 2379160
View attachment 2379161
Hi all!

One of my two girls still hasn't laid her first egg and I'm beginning to worry. She's a rather large girl, I believe a BR, and close to 36 weeks. Is this normal??

My other girl is an Olive Egger, much smallet than the BR and started laying back in July. She's a solid every day layer.

The BR still doesn't squat and her legs are still very close together when she stands. She's overall very healthy with a full and quite large bright red comb. Its been large and red for over a month now.

I'm about to add 4 more girls to the flock and after that I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell if she's laying or not 😅

View attachment 2379157
View attachment 2379159
View attachment 2379160
View attachment 2379161

Back
Top Bottom