Large BR Pullet about to be 36 weeks and hasn't laid!

MsSueT

Chirping
Oct 20, 2015
If you still have no eggs from this chicken, I'm going with hormone issues. I have had several hens (egg-layers) over the years who occasionally come out with a kind of half-baked crow or try to mount another hen. Please keep us posted!

thriftyplants

Chirping
Mar 2, 2020
very pretty girl. I don't think she is a roo, maybe confused hormones. as long as she doesn't crow, I wouldn't worry. could there be a place she is hiding the eggs? they are tricky sometimes.
thank you 🥰 I wish that were the case, but she doesn't free-range. She does have a very large enclosure, but I clean it out once a week and haven't discovered any rogue eggs yet.

Whigru

Chirping
May 7, 2020
Minnesota
If it's any comfort, I've got a splash-laced red Wyandotte pullet born March 4 who is not laying, though she looks and acts healthy, and is of good size. She's at the bottom of the pecking order and timid, though my flock has plenty of room and feed/water stations, so she's able to get what she wants. The five other chicks I got with her all began laying at the expected time, around five months. I've never seen a "holdout" like this in my 20 years of flock keeping.

When I posted here about her a month ago, one responder said she had a buff orpington that didn't lay until she was 11 months old! I figure my Wyandotte is either a very late bloomer, or something is amiss within, and one or the other will be revealed in time. In the meantime, I'm just watching and waiting. Good luck!
not trying to steal the thunder of the OP but this one made me pause - I have a Columbian Wyandotte that is a week younger than yours and has Yet to lay as well. Appears healthy, her comb is red and filling in but slowly, and periodic butt checks indicate she is SLOWLY getting a bit wider in the pelvis but man, is it taking forever!

Doctor L

Chirping
Oct 4, 2015
Hi all!

One of my two girls still hasn't laid her first egg and I'm beginning to worry. She's a rather large girl, I believe a BR, and close to 36 weeks. Is this normal??

My other girl is an Olive Egger, much smallet than the BR and started laying back in July. She's a solid every day layer.

The BR still doesn't squat and her legs are still very close together when she stands. She's overall very healthy with a full and quite large bright red comb. Its been large and red for over a month now.

I'm about to add 4 more girls to the flock and after that I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell if she's laying or not 😅

View attachment 2379157
View attachment 2379159
View attachment 2379160
View attachment 2379161
I’ve been raising chickens, well over 45 years now, and there is not much I haven’t seen... There is an uncommon phenomenon, particular to chickens, where a hen will take on the role of the roster, when there is no roster in the flock (Spontaneous Sex Reversal). Although, you may see this assumed “male role” in other species; with chickens, the hen will actually take on physical characteristics and behaviors of a roster, to some degree... They experience hormone changes (don’t worry, this is not unhealthy in any way), which will change their physical/behavioral characteristics, like not laying eggs, development of a more robust comb, grow larger than a hen... and the list goes on... This is not common, but also not extremely rare. Although chickens will thrive quite well without a roster, there are undeniable benefits to having a roster in the flock (I don’t think I need to elaborate on this fact). I think you’ll find that she will begin to behave more like a roster, though in much more subtle ways than a full, intact roster (A Trivial Side Note; Chickens only develop one active ovarie, right side, and the other is an undeveloped gonad on the left). She may even attempt to mount a hen, heard the girls together, and be their “protector and savior”. She may even “try” to crow, however; hens are physiologically un-equipped to crow, so it usually comes out as an odd cackle, or cluck, but she may still try... We most often see this phenomenon in flocks where there was once a roster, or she was once exposed to a roster, but it is not always a prerequisite. This is, in part, a result of the strong social order (pecking order) inherent to chickens. She sees herself as the leader, or top of the pecking order, even if the other girls don’t see her as such. Chickens are able to self regulate their hormones, to some degree, and turn up the production of testosterone, This will cause the development of secondary male sex characteristics, but primary sex characteristics still remain in tact. So, what you have here is a very special bird and a real “Gift” to both you and your flock. She will defend those girls, to the death if necessary, keep peace and order in the flock... everything a roster will provide for his harem, except fertile eggs and incessant crowing, and don’t expect eggs from her (but well worth the expense of feeding one bird, without receiving an egg in return)... Enjoy your special little trannie bird. She will bring you much enjoyment, and provide you with hours of entertainment and many stories to share... Final note: You should treat her as you would treat a roster. She can, and will, develop the more “aggressive” behavior of a roster. So, give him/her space, respect, watch your eye contact and treat “him” as you would a roster. If you never had a roster, or don’t know how to treat a roster, start researching now... s/he is only an adolescent right now, and there are many more new behaviors to come.
Good Luck,
+Blessings
Rev. Dr. Li

Top Bottom