Large Brooder Box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wdthompson1, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Hello from western Ohio!

Your new brooder looks great! We have a 6’x3’ brooder and it works well, so the 8’x4’ must be very nice indeed!

jddowdle and wdthompson1 like this.
  2. wdthompson1

wdthompson1 Chirping

Nov 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Update. I cut the door the door in half so when cleaning I didn’t have to worry about wayward chicks getting out. Plus makes it safer when kids want to interact with them.

Attached Files:

3. wdthompson1

wdthompson1 Chirping

Nov 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Hello,
    Thank you. I really like it.

Jac Jac and Acre4Me like this.
  4. archeryrob

archeryrob Songster

Aug 3, 2018
    Western Maryland
    I like the idea but how do you store it? I could use one that size but I don;t want to keep it in my garage when not using it.

wdthompson1 likes this.
  5. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    That’s so awesome that you do this work for Veterans! I love your brooder design too - thanks for sharing!!!:love

Jac Jac likes this.
  6. wdthompson1

wdthompson1 Chirping

Nov 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Hi,
    I have a barn that I can keep it in. I suppose you could always cove with a tarp as well and even paint/ water proof the outside.

7. jddowdle

jddowdle Chirping

May 18, 2019
    Gulfport ms
    Really nice. I always enjoy seeing the craftsmanship of others this brooder is so much better than the rubber maid tube I used for my 5 chicks.

8. archeryrob

archeryrob Songster

Aug 3, 2018
    Western Maryland
    My dark cornish breeders are only about 8 week right now so I am thinking about building mine this fall to be ready. I am thinking about building mine in 2 halves so I can stack it or maybe slide it together with flipping one side over and building an ohio brooder to fit in one end. The doors would have to come off or I'll just hang wire over it.

Why do you make the top so tall in the back? I have seen this in other brooders but don't understand the effective use of the space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: