Large brooder ideas

I engineered mine on site, and this wasn't the picture that provided inspiration (that, I can no longer locate), but if you already have wire for the walls... Note that the picture below is resource wasteful, and involves terrible corner designs. Use these instead, MUCH superior. Cuts your pipe use in half.

I used 1/2" - in retrospect, that has proven to be a mistake. 3/4" is the minimum I would now consider, for say a 6' x 6' design. Anything larger, and I'd go to 1" PVC with supports on the sides every 3' or so. My goats like to bump mine around, while my chickens like to roost on it, and look down on the baby chicks inside... Regardless of pipe size chosen, prices are comparable - I went with what was in stock. Damn Covid...

1624483891525.png

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I'm putting them all on a list of ideas, and also shopping around for inspiration. While shopping, I stumbled upon black reptile heat lamps. I hate the unnatural light that heat lamps give off, but I don't want to use heating plates since the last one I bought didn't get hot enough and my chicks didn't make it.
Do you think this 150 watt black heat bulb would get warm enough for chicks? I'd be very interested in trying since the lighting wouldn't be nearly as bright. Thoughts are helpful, thank you! https://www.chewy.com/zilla-night-b...zsDiAGeLca3ZHQfSMZokjqut3ZZcKsAxoCDEoQAvD_BwE

I've used a black ceramic heat bulb in my shed January/February to offer supplemental heat. That said, i still prefer a heating plate - for reasons of safety and durability. Though it doesn't warm a space, it requires contact. They work in substantially different ways, heat plates and radiant bulbs. The black ceramic heat bulb will radiate some heat - but if you accidentally bump it, or a bird testing its wings does - very good chance you will blister.

I've used a black ceramic heat bulb in my shed January/February to offer supplemental heat. That said, i still prefer a heating plate - for reasons of safety and durability. Though it doesn't warm a space, it requires contact. They work in substantially different ways, heat plates and radiant bulbs. The black ceramic heat bulb will radiate some heat - but if you accidentally bump it, or a bird testing its wings does - very good chance you will blister.
Yes, it has to be kept out of reach of the chicks for sure. I was really excited about the heat plate I ordered, but after it failed I don't quite trust them anymore. Heat lamps have alas worked for us, so it feels like a safer option.
Reviews said that you could put this 1' away from chicks to achieve the 95 degrees, and of course move it back as they get older to lower the heat. I will be brooding Serama's as well, so they'll be pretty short and less likely to touch the heat bulb. I may just order it and see if I can get the 95 degrees at what distance before testing it on the chicks.

So far, my favorite ideas are brooder panels, (kinda pricey) and watermelon bins. Next time I go into town I'm definitely gonna call our grocery stores and see if they have any Watermelon bins they want to give up. Google said they're about 46"x 38" x 36". Thats pretty darn big. My only issue after that would be a secure door system.
Could I cut out a door like a door? Cut down one side and the bottom, but not the left side so it would still swing like a door? I could close it with reusable Zip-ties, and place chicken wire over the top to secure from our cats.
Its still just cardboard though, and the door would have to be secure from a dog, were thats were our swimming pool brooder failed.

My Outdoor Brooder is 4x8. I kept a cardboard divider up across the middle for several weeks until they looked like could use more space: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

What size/kind of dog is the problem?
It was our friends dog that caused the problem, but she's only here occasionally since she lives a couple hours away. Her dog is a rescue mix, definitely has Pit bull in him, and is about the same size as our 70lbs Yellow Lab. He's a really smart dog, and after the incident I did a good stent of training with him and a check chain, and he responded really well. The owners are going to continue his obedience training at home.
Otherwise, it needs to be able to withstand a wide range of different dog breeds. We have a lot of friends with dogs being in the country.

It was our friends dog that caused the problem, but she's only here occasionally since she lives a couple hours away. Her dog is a rescue mix, definitely has Pit bull in him, and is about the same size as our 70lbs Yellow Lab. He's a really smart dog, and after the incident I did a good stent of training with him and a check chain, and he responded really well. The owners are going to continue his obedience training at home.
Otherwise, it needs to be able to withstand a wide range of different dog breeds. We have a lot of friends with dogs being in the country.

Can you put your brooder inside your run fence?

Can you put your brooder inside your run fence?
I would, but our run isn't secure either. Its not predator proof and only able to with stand our day predators like dogs and hawks. We lock all of our chickens up at night in predator proof coops which would become to small if I put the brooder in there. If I put it in the run it would also have to be secure from other predators. Coons, Coyotes, Weasels etc.

Back
Top Bottom