Large brooder ideas

I would, but our run isn't secure either. Its not predator proof and only able to with stand our day predators like dogs and hawks. We lock all of our chickens up at night in predator proof coops which would become to small if I put the brooder in there. If I put it in the run it would also have to be secure from other predators. Coons, Coyotes, Weasels etc.

That's probably a no-go then.

I made my brooder as predator proof as I could get it short of adding electric wire, but I couldn't be 100% sure that a large and determined dog couldn't tip it over.

I'm currently incubating 15 Serama eggs. 7 of which are under my broody hen who is doing an impeccable job. I have 8 in my incubator, and I believe 3 may be infertile but am not sure. I'll toss eggs on day 12. They're shipped so if I get a 50% hatch rate, (approximately 7 chicks) That'll be great! I really only want a few though, 3-4 would be great considering they came all the way from Florida to Wa in the mail.
If I plan on getting 50%, I'll have about 4 chicks in my brooder. 3-4 under the broody. I've previously used a swimming pool brooder with cardboard cinch down strapped around the edge. I thought it was pretty secure, but a dog found its way into the brooder and got one of the chicks.
I need ideas for a large sturdy brooder. Preferably I'de build a wooden permanent brooder, but our builder is down right now and I'm not sure were I would store the brooder long term.
A friend suggested seeing if any stores had watermelon boxes they need to get rid of, those are supposed to be pretty big. Otherwise, ideas for large sturdy brooders are very welcome. Thank you!
I once used a baby crib and lined it with cardboard and that worked out really well.

I just got a watermelon box from a grocery store for free.
It's huge and very easy to put together. They disassembled
it for me so I could get in my car. All I plan on doing to it is putting
a net over it, It will be in my attached garage that I can close up
at night, so no predators can get to my chicks. After I'm through with it, I can take it apart and use it again, when ever I need it. Best money I never had to spend.

I just got a watermelon box from a grocery store for free.
It's huge and very easy to put together. They disassembled
it for me so I could get in my car. All I plan on doing to it is putting
a net over it, It will be in my attached garage that I can close up
at night, so no predators can get to my chicks. After I'm through with it, I can take it apart and use it again, when ever I need it. Best money I never had to spend.
This is my favorite option so far. Its large, easy to store, reusable and free. I'm definitly leaning towards that. Thank you everyone!

I'm currently incubating 15 Serama eggs. 7 of which are under my broody hen who is doing an impeccable job. I have 8 in my incubator, and I believe 3 may be infertile but am not sure. I'll toss eggs on day 12. They're shipped so if I get a 50% hatch rate, (approximately 7 chicks) That'll be great! I really only want a few though, 3-4 would be great considering they came all the way from Florida to Wa in the mail.
If I plan on getting 50%, I'll have about 4 chicks in my brooder. 3-4 under the broody. I've previously used a swimming pool brooder with cardboard cinch down strapped around the edge. I thought it was pretty secure, but a dog found its way into the brooder and got one of the chicks.
I need ideas for a large sturdy brooder. Preferably I'de build a wooden permanent brooder, but our builder is down right now and I'm not sure were I would store the brooder long term.
A friend suggested seeing if any stores had watermelon boxes they need to get rid of, those are supposed to be pretty big. Otherwise, ideas for large sturdy brooders are very welcome. Thank you!
I use a water trough like the ones you can use for cows or horses . You might be able to find one pretty cheap on craigs list in your area ..I have 15 baby new Hampshire reds and I've had them in this trough since 3 days old and they are now almost 4 weeks and still haven't even come close to taking flight out plus you can put screen or chicken wire over the top and the plus is it holds warmth really well so you won't need a heat lamp during the day and after week 2 you won't need one at night if your temps are atleast 70 and above at night as mine is cuz I'm in Florida . But the trough works great with shavings in the bottom with plenty of room for their water and food feeder too ..my trough is one that's oblong but you can also get round ones ..
Good luck and hope you find an easy solution that doesn't cost much
Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom