Large dog puncture wound, what to use?

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Ghandi was the lone surviving victim of a dog attack.. he has a quarter sized hole right on his back bone, and I swear I can see down further into it than I should be able to. He was very shocky yesterday, and I only felt comfortable with clearing away the feathers and keeping him quiet. Now I need to get him worked on. I didn't think you could use neosporin on punctures, but i'm seeing now that I should? It looks like a really painful wound, and i'm really hesitant to mess with it TOO much. What should I get as far as an antibiotic at TSC? That's the only thing close. Due to a car breaking down today, going to the vet isn't an option
sad.png
I really want to save this guy.. he's my only silkie left and I really love the little butthead.. currently the wound doesn't have a rank smell, but it does smell, well, like an open wound. I'd like to get him treated tomorrow.

Cut Heal Wound Spray, its for horses but will work on chickens also they carry it at tsc..

also you can get this from tsc will work on chickens also Tri-Care Wound Ointment,

If you can, try cleaning the wound with a bit of normal saline in a squeeze bottle. My Barred Rock was also a dog attack victum, and I used saline and neo sporin to keep the wound moist, and cleaned her daily to keep maggots out of the wound. She had holes in her legs, and a huge piece of skin torn from her head to the middle of her back. I tried to keep her wrapped with dressings, but she wouldn't keep them on until I used a mini pad ( yes) and the ointment to keep her feathers in place. It took quite a while, but she made it and has a nice feather re growth coming in. Good nursing care can solve the problems of the world !! LOL
I'm a nurse, that's how I know LOL

Quote:
OK- um..
1- minipad- like a sanitary napkin? Sticky side down I assume? Is there any reason to use this instead of one of those large 'knee' bandaids that all parents of boys keep around?
didyou do anythign else to keept the pad in place?

1.5- Did the ointment actually keep pfeathers in place? The undamaged feathers or the ones on the wounded flesh?

2- HOW did you use the saline and neosporin. I'd guess you squirt the saline in to rinse the wound, and apply a coating of neosporin only to the wound..how thick? Do you use it as a barrier (to keep particles out, or just like an ointment?

3- Did you isolate her? Kep her in the house?

I want to be prepared as best I can in case we ever go through this.

The best prep for an open wound in my humble opinion is hydrogen peroxide, this will bubble up and flush out any remaining infection, saline is just sterile water, not as good. I use it regularly, it speeds the healing process, don't worry it does not burn or sting in the least bit. I would then seal the wound with bacitration ointment.

hate to add another opinion, but I'm thinking diluted betadine is good.

hope the roo recovers.

keep watch for infection, heat and swelling, fever (hot comb and warm under wings, acting ill)
then he might need a systemic antibiotic such as penicillin or Cipro.

I'm going by the TSC this afternoon to see what all they have to offer. He was eating last night! That beak pecking against the floor of the carrier was the best sound i've heard in days.

get the dog to a vet, they will examine and give you high dose antibiotics which you will need and maybe something for pain. ive delt with wound like that for years and they get infected very quickly. dont put anything on it and get that poor puppy to the vet.

hey, al6517,
Saline is NOT ' just sterile water" Just so you know, saline or salt water , has been used to clean and disinfect wounds for centuries It's not as traumatic as peroxide, which can scare you chicken with it's foaming action, and thwe wound is clean so you can see what you are dealing with.
I used the mini pad sticky side up, so the roll dressing would stick to the pad & keep it in place. No, unfortunately, 'boy knee bandaids" won't hold, as the will slide right off.
hope your bird makes it !

Back
Top Bottom