Large Egg!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Colleen2016, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Colleen2016

Colleen2016 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Victoria BC Canada
    Hi there: I am a newbie from Victoria, BC Canada. Thank you for hosting this site and letting me join.

I waited many years to get chickens and finally took the plunge this year. I built my own coop and run, and stocked it with six 2 month old heritage hens. I thought it would be a chore looking after them, but I now know what dear little personalities they have, and that they make good pets also. They just started laying last month and their eggs are getting gradually larger. Yesterday, Colleen my ISO brown laid this enormous egg, not a bad feat considering she had laid the day before so it only took her a day to come up with this one I don't have a scale, so can't weigh it, but you can see from the photo, next to the normal size eggs. Phew!
    [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

My that's a whopper - bet it is a double yolker - [​IMG]

IMO their individual personalities is the most surprising and wonderful thing we discover when we get our own pet chickens.

Enjoy the forums.

3. Colleen2016

Colleen2016 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Victoria BC Canada
    Thank you! I have two hens in particular (the olive easter eggers) that won't leave me alone when I try and read a book in the yard. They hunker down on the arms of my chair, allowing me to pet them, and sometimes fall asleep there. Oggie, my Westie, has come to accept the hens and guards them, keeping them safe from raccoons. However, he gets jealous when I feed them and has to also have his share, no matter what it is.

I have been visiting this site for a while now, obtaining the information I needed from time to time. Its good to finally join.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. chicklady60

chicklady60 Just Hatched

Sep 10, 2016
    Gastonia, NC
    4 of 5 of my flock are laying now. I have gotten some very large eggs that turned out to be double yokers.

My schnoodle dog is jealous of my chickens. He wants to eat their food.

5. chicklady60

chicklady60 Just Hatched

Sep 10, 2016
    Gastonia, NC
    [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Your birds are beautiful and I love your Westie.[​IMG]

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. That's a heck of an egg.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! Thanks for joining BYC and enjoy those eggs!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Check out our learning center! It has loads of helpful info!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wow, huge egg! I have heard of eggs like that having normal sized eggs inside of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by