Large egg

Marrrs

Chirping
Sep 10, 2021
hello everyone!

I have a flock of 9 hens. They’re barely starting to lay eggs. I have 3 amberlinks, 3 buff orpingtons and assuming 3 australorps!
So I am not sure which are laying eggs but they have been small browns eggs. Today I picked up a giant brown egg. Out of that bunch which one lays large eggs. I am a new hen mom, so I am new to this. Thanks for the help.
A839C3AA-CBD4-40F6-BDA9-211DAE9FE432.jpeg

Perfectly normal. Takes a while for new layers to work all the kinks out of their plumbing and get into a normal routine. By one year of age, reproductive mistakes like shell less eggs, "fairy" eggs (yolkless, tiny), porous eggs, and double yolk eggs (as the one pictured appears to be) will be a rarity. Average egg size should have increased slightly and stabilized as well. Based on studies I've read, mistakes in egg production are about 10x more prevalent in the early months following start of lay.

Only cause for concern if its routine and persistent. Or if it returns. Your Amberlinks, in particular, are prone to reproductive problems (generally, starting around year three - but individuals vary a lot) and typically short lives. Until then, nothing pops out eggs like the purpose built production layers. They burn the proverbial candle at both ends, and the middle besides...

Perfectly normal. Takes a while for new layers to work all the kinks out of their plumbing and get into a normal routine. By one year of age, reproductive mistakes like shell less eggs, "fairy" eggs (yolkless, tiny), porous eggs, and double yolk eggs (as the one pictured appears to be) will be a rarity. Average egg size should have increased slightly and stabilized as well. Based on studies I've read, mistakes in egg production are about 10x more prevalent in the early months following start of lay.

Only cause for concern if its routine and persistent. Or if it returns. Your Amberlinks, in particular, are prone to reproductive problems (generally, starting around year three - but individuals vary a lot) and typically short lives. Until then, nothing pops out eggs like the purpose built production layers. They burn the proverbial candle at both ends, and the middle besides...
Yes I didn’t know that about them. I just one day said to my husband I want chickens. And he randomly brought them home, so I wasn’t even aware what kind they were or anything. Didn’t really know what breed they were till maybe a month or so ago from research. It makes me sad the amberlinks don’t live that long. But while they do I’ll make sure they’re happy.

Yes I didn’t know that about them. I just one day said to my husband I want chickens. And he randomly brought them home, so I wasn’t even aware what kind they were or anything. Didn’t really know what breed they were till maybe a month or so ago from research. It makes me sad the amberlinks don’t live that long. But while they do I’ll make sure they’re happy.
Pandemic last year meant there was little choice in chicken purchases at the local farm store - you either bought what they had, or you did without. Plenty of times, they sold out before I could make the drive - once before I could get from the front door to the stock tanks. Itrs been a bit better this summer, but still not as good as past years - and misidentification at the farms stores remains rampant.

In short, we understand. Most of us have been there. Certainly I'VE been there anyways.

Very best to you in your chicken keeping journey! and welcome to BYC!

Pandemic last year meant there was little choice in chicken purchases at the local farm store - you either bought what they had, or you did without. Plenty of times, they sold out before I could make the drive - once before I could get from the front door to the stock tanks. Itrs been a bit better this summer, but still not as good as past years - and misidentification at the farms stores remains rampant.

In short, we understand. Most of us have been there. Certainly I'VE been there anyways.

Very best to you in your chicken keeping journey! and welcome to BYC!
Thank you so much. I am very happy I found this website! It makes it easier to find help!

Back
Top Bottom