Large Egg

I've seen a lot of info about these egg quality issues. What I can't seem to find is information on which ones are still safe for consumption. Some of them are obviously a #nope, but others, like if they're wrinkled or have bumps, misshapen/abnormal color, etc., 🧐🤷‍♀️. Is there a thread about this anywhere?

Defects in the shell don't compromise the eating quality unless they're the sort of defects that would allow bacteria to penetrate.

Popcorn's eggs are always bumpy and sometimes wrinkled, but I use them just like I use any other egg of like size and freshness. :)

Defects in the shell don't compromise the eating quality unless they're the sort of defects that would allow bacteria to penetrate.

Popcorn's eggs are always bumpy and sometimes wrinkled, but I use them just like I use any other egg of like size and freshness. :)
Good info! Thank you :)

Love that! Do you think it's because of the extra calcium (is that what the little bumps are from)??

No, I just think that except for her calcium problem she's just an overall good hen.

It's really a shame I can't breed her because she's got a lot of plusses -- good size to her eggs, reasonably reliable layer, well-behaved in the flock, remarkably good lacing for a hatchery bird, etc. If her calcium problem were an occasional thing I'd do it. But she's never laid an egg that didn't either have bumps or wrinkles. :(

eggtt.jpg

jum.PNG

These were my 2 biggest, both triple eggers.

No, I just think that except for her calcium problem she's just an overall good hen.

It's really a shame I can't breed her because she's got a lot of plusses -- good size to her eggs, reasonably reliable layer, well-behaved in the flock, remarkably good lacing for a hatchery bird, etc. If her calcium problem were an occasional thing I'd do it. But she's never laid an egg that didn't either have bumps or wrinkles. :(
Well, that IS a big bummer. I absolutely love laced feathers - it's so beautiful. How curious that she's always had egg oddities.

Back
Top Bottom