Large Fowl Cochin Thread

It's to hot to be shipping chicks , and I dont think you will find many on here that suggest you get hatchery birds, most of us offer started birds or hatching egg's , I can offer you chicks in the spring or later in the fall.

I am wanting to start a LF cochin flock and curious if anyone knows where I could get some nice chicks? So far I am leaning toward Cackle hatchery but would much rather find a breeder and am having little luck finding any. Everyone seems hung up on bantams. Any help would be appreciated!

As someone that started with hatchery chicks, I think you will be much happier with some well bred cochins, even if you never want to show or breed them. The difference in vigor and overall health really impressed me with a well bred bird.

Quote:
I can second that message! My for sure purebred birds from a good breeder, [Nanakat] are super and they are sooo much better than the two I just bought. I only got these two new ones because it was near impossible to find a roo for my pullets. As soon as a quality young roo is available I plan to buy him! I found lots of bantams and tons of hatchery birds, none of which even began to come close to the standard. Make yourself happy and start with the best you can get a hold of.

I have a bantam Cochin hen and a LF roo, currently he is a little bitty fluff ball, However I am curious if he will bother with my bantam hens (there are only two) when he gets older? If he does mate them will he hurt them? will I need to keep them separated? these may be silly questions but I am so new to this I thought better safe than sorry.
idunno.gif

I have a bantam Cochin hen and a LF roo, currently he is a little bitty fluff ball, However I am curious if he will bother with my bantam hens (there are only two) when he gets older? If he does mate them will he hurt them? will I need to keep them separated? these may be silly questions but I am so new to this I thought better safe than sorry.
idunno.gif

He will try to breed them if they are pullets or hens , and yes if he's very heavy he could hurt them.

I ordered some blue cochins from Meyer hatchery. One blue and the other is a splash. My splash is getting a lot of red in his wing and back feathers. I didn't think this would happen so I'm a bit suprised. Is it normal for splash males to have red creaping in? Or is this what i get for ordering from a hatchery? It is so far random feathers and not the whole feather. very odd. They are 10 weeks old.

I ordered some blue cochins from Meyer hatchery. One blue and the other is a splash. My splash is getting a lot of red in his wing and back feathers. I didn't think this would happen so I'm a bit suprised. Is it normal for splash males to have red creaping in? Or is this what i get for ordering from a hatchery? It is so far random feathers and not the whole feather. very odd. They are 10 weeks old.
The leakage will get ALOT worse as it molts again into adult feathers. Most hatchery birds are useless if you want to breed good quality birds.

Matt

Well that sucks :( I really really wanted the blue cochins but couldn't find any non-hatchery chicks so I took my chances. Right now I don't have room to really get into breeding but it is a goal within the next few years. For now I am goning to let the girls hatch a few each when they go broody and see what I get. So I assume if I breed the splash his offspring will carry the red gene and have leakage as well?

Well that sucks :( I really really wanted the blue cochins but couldn't find any non-hatchery chicks so I took my chances.  Right now I don't have room to really get into breeding but it is a goal within the next few years. For now I am goning to let the girls hatch a few each when they go broody and see what I get. So I assume if I breed the splash his offspring will carry the red gene and have leakage as well?

I really hate that for you. I have been tempted to buy some hatchery birds but have, so far, held to my guns. I got lucky and found a very good breeder near me and had hoped to start a good flock. Well...6 of my eight juveniles are roosters. NOT a good hen to roo ratio. I'll need let at least 3 of the roosters go. Where are you in Alabama? I'm just outside of Atlanta and if you're interested, I might could solve your rooster problem. My birds are From Star Cochins SQ Line and they're beautiful....I just can't run a flock with 6 Roos and one hen. If you'd like a good roo to start your flock, let me know and I'll post some update d pics of my boys and see if any of them strike your fancy. We may be within driving distance of each other and not have to ship anything.

Missy

Back
Top Bottom