Large Fowl Cochin Thread

5 month old Golden Laced Pullet

I just found this thread and I'm so excited. When I first decided to get chickens Cochins were the first thing I picked out. Out of about 40 birds I only have one, but she is a sweetie. I keep telling my self that I'm not getting anymore chicks this year...

Meet Lula Bell 5mths old...

What do you think?

A name change might be in order, Lula Bell is a cockerel! I have been in cochins for near 40 years and it is very easy for me to differentiate between the sexes. He is still too young to really tell other than he seems to have decent size, his head seems a bit small and I would like to see a softer rounded tail but there aren't lots of barred LF cochins running about, you can get you some really good black hens and improve the type and heads considerably in a relatively short period of time. The males are dominant for barring so he will pass this along to his offspring, select the best typed birds first and worry about color second.

Bo

A name change might be in order, Lula Bell is a cockerel! I have been in cochins for near 40 years and it is very easy for me to differentiate between the sexes. He is still too young to really tell other than he seems to have decent size, his head seems a bit small and I would like to see a softer rounded tail but there aren't lots of barred LF cochins running about, you can get you some really good black hens and improve the type and heads considerably in a relatively short period of time. The males are dominant for barring so he will pass this along to his offspring, select the best typed birds first and worry about color second.

Bo
K EPP - Maybe he can be Lou Bell
hugs.gif

Thank you Bo for saying it! I looked again at this picture today and just could not get over the fact that I was sure this was a cockerel. Great advise to this owner. I always learn from you.

Hmmmmm well I guess I got the 1% the hatchery got wrong. My daughter picked it from a pullet shipment from Ideal at the feed store. lol Either way it has a home unless it goes crazy and starts floging us. I can't imagine a 13lb rooster trying to hop in my lap every chance it gets.

Crash course in genetics... The chicks will be barred even if breed to black? Will they be blue or black barred?

Oh and who do I get good LF Cochins from? I'm in North Georgia. Seems most people around here only have bantam. I just told my self I was getting no more birds....

I know I don't post much but I would love to take a stab at explaining the barred gene a tiny bit.
So how it was explained to me is the roos carry 2 genes and the hens only carry 1. The barred gene only needs 1 copy to show(although I need some clarifying on this subject due to a problem I have)--so just because a roo is barred does not mean it has both copies of the barring gene. So if a roo has only 1 gene the babies of said roo can be both solid and barred. Any hen that is barred will have barred offspring.

---The lighter the color the more likely the roo has 2 copies of the bar gene there is a picture of this on the Marans thread-I asked about it over there and someone did a side by side picture for me-but don't quote me on this.

this was more explained to me for the cuckoo gene so not sure if both cuckoo and barred works the same exact way- the difference between cuckoo and barring is I believe barring is supposed to be more defined while the cuckoo I think has wider more fuzzy lines I think???? again I am no expert just wanted to try my hand at helping a little

How did I do??

Hi Bo,
If you are still out there...I emailed you a week or so back. Did you get it?
Clare

Back
Top Bottom